It is currently September 21st, 2019, 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 26th, 2006, 3:11 pm 

The postings re QE Wildlands reminded me of another area I'd like to explore. This one is just North of Parry Sound. Has anyone explored that area? Is there any access from Hwy 69 via creeks, beaver ponds etc?

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject: Round lake
PostPosted: September 26th, 2006, 3:54 pm 

Hi Wotrock
We have explored that area extensively. It can be accessed from a number of places. Nine Mine Lake, NE of Parry Sound near Wabamik has a parking area. From here, after paddling to the north end of Nine Mile you can access Wolf Marsh, Upper Marsh, Round etc. If you had lots of time you could contine north to Partridge (Shawanaga R.) and actually onwards right up to Killarney ( as we did years ago). There are numerous routes (away from Georgian Bay) to get right up to the French including the Mag, Island, Rat Lake etc.

We have also accessed the area from Rock Island Lake on the Shawanaga. We used to park at Camp Minaki in the 70s and 80s, which later became Rolling Rock. This was on the Ba Sa Gim Road, formerly Rock Island Lake Road. The other place to park would be the Shawanaga Resort off of Dumont Road.
Paddling east on Rock Island through Black Oak would provide 2 choices, one going up the Shawanaga to Partridge (1 long portage and 2 short) If the water is high the river can be done without doing the portages although there would be numerous pull-throughs and short carry arounds.
Once in Partridge you could proceed south to Wallace Lake, Burnt and then Round.
The other route from Black Oak would be portaging south into Birch, Bear, Fox Lake and into Round.
If you have a 4x4 there is also access from the East off of the Powerline service road into both Wolf and Partridge Lakes. This would certainly shorten the trip in, but also makes the area more accessible. There are a number of atv tracks and snowmobiles trails all through the area, including the west side of Upper and Lower Marsh Lakes. I am not sure where they start from the highway.

You could also travel south from Marsh on the creek into Cranberry Lake and bush crash into Spectacle Lake. From there Sly Creek eventually reaches the highway near the Kilbear Road. Sly Creek is quite rough though with lots of log jams and blow-downs. Not alot of water when we did it

An interesting thing about Round was its pH.....very acidic, I remember it stinging the eyes (I used to have some reports showing the pH to be aound 4.0. The water was extremely clear (like some of the lakes in Killarney) and there was llittle weed growth.
In the 70's the large island in the centre of Round Lake had a huge heron nesting area, 100's of nests and birds (quite noisy).
When I was back in there in the early 90's all the pine trees on the island had all died and fallen over.

Another route would be from Wiwassagan Lake. We used to park at the old Ojibway restaurant and portage along an atv track into Wiwassagan. There were numerous beaver ponds and creeks between here and Birch Lake.

Also a great area for back-country skiing!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2006, 7:55 am 

WaterHunter,

Thanks for the wealth of information. I am keen on exploring this area. I assume it's possible to camp in the Conservation Reserve? If so, do you have any recommended sites? Also, does anyone know which of the other lakes (outside of the reserve) are crown land?

I'd love to hear any other thoughts on the area.

Cheers,

Darren

Visit Darren's Outdoor Page!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2006, 9:14 am 

Hi Darren,
Most of the area around there is crown land. There are a number of hunting leases throughout the area. There are cottages on Nine Mile, Trout and Rock Island Lakes. The various lakes - Round, Wolf, Marsh, Lower Marsh, Wiwassasagen, Black Oak, Partridge all have numerous campsites on each. The other lakes such as Fox, Bear, Birch have few, if any used campsites as they are more off the "beaton path"
There is private and commercial land as you get south and west of Cranberry Lake and near the highway. I never worried much about the land status in all my years of non-park canoeing. If we came across a fire pit and a reasonable tenting area on a particular lake we just assumed it was used by people like ourselves. (I have never had any problems).... so far

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2006, 5:35 pm 

Thx, Waterhunter,for that info. I hope to explore that area next year. The port from Wallace to Burnt looks long on the topo---over 1 Km. Do you recall roughly how long it is, in fact? Would the route down thru Birch, Bear and Fox be easier?

Post subject: Round Lake
PostPosted: October 18th, 2006, 6:24 am 

Hi Wotrock,
The route from Wallace to Burnt is dependent apon the condition of the beaver dams. In the past we were lucky. We were able to work our way up the creek from Wallace into a large open area, which had sufficient water to paddle across. We then portaged a short distance along the snowmobile trail into Burnt lake. If the water levels are low, and if the main dam for the large open area is out, then it would be a rough trip. You have to also factor in the trip up into Partridge from Black Oak. Going in via Birch would bypass most of the Shawanaga River portion. I would consider doing a circuit. If you went in through Birch you could, while camped on Round walk across the snowmobile trail from Burnt to see if the large open area has water, and if so continue the trip that way. The route from Birch, although longer is broken up by the small lakes and has more open ridge areas whaich make for easier portaging and less chance of getting lost. The Google Earth images show lots of water in the open area, however it just takes one dam to go out to completely change everything.

We did one trip years ago where we stayed on Partridge for a few days. We did a day trip south into Round, out to Marsh, Wolf, up along the powerlines to some small lakes, west into Froud Lake and then north and northwest back into the east part of Partridge via a chain of beaver ponds. Not a bad trip without all the gear

Jeff

Post subject: Round Lake,
PostPosted: October 18th, 2006, 9:16 am 

Hello Wotrock and Waterhunter, My partner and I have done a little paddling in Shawanaga / Rock Island / Black Oak / Birch / Wallace / Partridge area this season.

We spent Thanksgiving on Wallace and looked at the possibility of heading south. Boggy and a tough slough are the terms that come to mind. (caught and released a 3 lb smallmouth in Wallace) The GPS showed that we needed 1700m to get to the next decent body of water.

I've wanted to paddle in the Round Lake area but the 'No Camping' has been a deterrent.
http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/roun.html

If I can find a campsite near the park, it looks like an interesting day paddle.

Darryl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2006, 10:17 am 

Hi Darl-h
Very Interesting........
I guess I better look at all the other new designations in the Crown Land Use Atlas.
I wonder how many other of the areas I go into, or that I am planning to explore have now been classified.
It seems that most of the undesignated areas in Southern Ontario are gradually being catalogued and put into some sort of status.....I suspect that as more of these little known areas become parks and/or reserves that it will attract more of the litter bugs
(possibly why I keep finding more and more garbage on portages and campsites)
Oh well, as I previously mentioned day trips without all the gear are feasible and can be incorpoated into various circuits through Round, either west through Birch or East through Marsh etc.

Was anyone up at the cabin on Partridge while you were there?
I used to known the owner Neil Walker (back in the 70's)

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2006, 10:37 am 

The http://crownlanduseatlas.mnr.gov.on.ca/ is a great tool for Ontario trip planning. I'll agree that it is harder to find 'good' weekend destinations for canoe camping on crown land.

On the thanksgiving trip the Partridge Cabin had two men and a women plus a little fluffy dog. Waved hello but did not speak to anyone. They didn't seem like owners because once the sun went down and we had our fire going they came out, sat around an instant gasoline assisted fire for 10 minutes and then headed into the cabin again.

Darryl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 19th, 2006, 2:58 pm 

I'm heading in tomorrow (Friday). I'll be starting at the South end of Nine Mile Lake, and likely setting up a base camp on Marsh or Upper Marsh to explore from. I hope to get down into Cranberry, and also up into Round and any other lakes I have time to get to! Any final thoughts/comments before I head out? Any campsites I should shoot for since I'll be on one for several nights?

Cheers,

Visit Darren's Outdoor Page!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 19th, 2006, 5:06 pm 

Darryl/Watersong,
Here's what the route from Wallace to Burnt looks like on Google. The area leading out of Wallace looks pretty dry--I'd guess that it's not paddleable. Did you look at that creek when you were there, Darryl? On the + side, there seems to be a fairly big beaver pond in between. So it looks like 3 fairly short ports from Wallace to Round-----load/unload :cry: , but better than a 1700m port.

edited to add more sat images---looks like it might be possible to paddle some parts of creek

Post subject: Route from Wallace
PostPosted: October 20th, 2006, 5:04 am 

I did Wallace to Round several times and went up the creek shown on the goggle images. The first part of the creek out of Wallace had a few tight spots which required some short dragging (depends on the length of your canoe) There were always enough 'dry' tufts of grass/bush to get a foothold
After that there were some beaver dam pull-overs.
Overall it was not too bad.
Of course the last time I went through there was in the early 90's

PostPosted: October 20th, 2006, 7:10 am 

Waterhunter, in comparison to Partridge/Wallace & Birch, what is the topography and shoreline like in Burnt and Round.

Only having paddled Rock Island to Black Oak, to Birch and Rock I. to Black Oak, to Wallace and Partridge, I thought that Wallace was a most beautiful lake, just needs a few more 'small impact' campers to establish a couple of campsites. (no I don't like furniture at any back country site).

So is Burnt and Round more similar to Wallace or Birch?

Darryl.

Post subject: Round lake Area
PostPosted: October 20th, 2006, 8:23 am 

Darren, you are probably already on the road, however there are numerous campsites on Upper and Lower Marsh and Wolf Lakes. Last time we ware there we camped on a nice site on the SE shore of Lower Marsh. It was on a low flat area with a nice view for sunsets. This time of year you might want to choose a more sheltered site depending on the weather. (Wolf Lake - main island) The route down to Cranberry is fairly straightforward with some small portages and/or lift overs. It could certainly be more difficult it the beaver dams are out. When we got onto Cranberry the first part was very shallow and muddy (a bit of a 'grunt' to get into deeper water) We did a circuit to the east, through a small lake and back up into Lower Marsh. (a day trip)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 20th, 2006, 8:32 am 

Sorry for the double posts, I keep getting error messages.

Darryl,
Unlike Wallace and Partridge Lakes which have predominantly deciduous forests with moderate soil cover Burnt and Round have much thinner soil cover. The forest becomes predomintly white and red pine, but becoming more deciduous on the south side of Round. You will also notice the much clearer water (turquoise blue tint) than in Partridge and Wallace
(assuming my memory is still working fine)