It is currently August 21st, 2019, 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 16th, 2002, 3:14 pm 

Anyone ever paddle this long marshy area? It looks pretty sizable and is practically in my backyard but I have no knowledge of it.Swift Rapids Road comes close to it's west side on toporama,but does anyone know of a marked trail or such off the road maybe, because i do know a lot of the area is crown land and it could be a nice day trip for exploring on the water...jordi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 16th, 2002, 3:27 pm 

Quote:
On 2002-12-16 15:14, jordi.f wrote:
Anyone ever paddle this long marshy area? It looks pretty sizable and is practically in my backyard but I have no knowledge of it.Swift Rapids Road comes close to it's west side on toporama,but does anyone know of a marked trail or such off the road maybe, because i do know a lot of the area is crown land and it could be a nice day trip for exploring on the water...jordi.

It's almost in my backyard too. I did some paddling there many years ago. If I recall correctly, the road gets you close enough to make it fairly simple to access. The details are too fuzzy to be of much help planning, but I enjoyed the day spent in the area and kept meaning to go back.

There's just too many great places to visit and not enough time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17th, 2002, 9:18 pm 

I just found out that Long Lake used to be called Matchedash Lake,so maybe this bit of info may ring a bell.I'm trying to find out what type of body water it is...mostly marsh and wetlands or is there a main body of water that has some depth and structure to it?How low is low in the summer months?Is it navigable and are the Eastern Lakes easy to find from here?These are 2 bodies of water to the north...Jordi

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 18th, 2002, 8:17 am 

Long or Matchedash lake can be accessed by a road that branches off swift rapids road.
Its deep enough and people leave canoes an aluminium boats at the access.
Both of the Eastern lakes have crown land leases ( stanton Air) so dont use their tent platforms. They use the lakes for fly in bass fishing. Eastern lakes can also be reached by ponds and creeks( and portages) off the severn river. do a search on Matchedash on the net and you will get a couple sites of studies and field naturalists describing the flora of the wetland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2002, 10:12 am 

There are several Long Lakes on my map. Can you give me more specific direction?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2002, 11:56 am 

Gravenhurst topo 31/D14 at grid reference 210610 shows the lake
Penetang topo31/D13 at grid reference 167605 shows the road to it from orillia/ Burnside along the hydro line( swift Rapids road).
the road is usually flooded in parts around April/ May but should be fine for a 2 wheel drive car after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2002, 11:58 am 

Cheryl, that Long Lake is about 4km due west of Port Stanton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2002, 11:12 am 

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2002, 11:19 am 

Markus,

My Backroads mapbook show Swift Rapids Rd as passing fairly close (maybe within 1/2 Km) of Long lake rather than going right to it. Is this in fact the case?If so, is my estimate of 1/2 Km reasonable? ( You say there are alum boats stashed at the West end, so it sounds like the road may go right to the lake).
Also you mention that you can get to Eastern & Long lake from the Severn. Have you ever done this? Do you have any details on that route?
Thx for your info,
wotrock

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2002, 2:33 pm 

You are right, swift rapids road is about half a k away.There is a trail which branches off swift rapids road towards the beaverpond before the lake.You can drive up this trail for about 300 m which leaves you only 200 to portage to the pond. Paddle the pond , short lift over to the actual lake.
Some people with good 4x4 s drive right to it unfortunately.

The way from the severn River down to Eastern and Matchedash lake is only possible until approx.the end of June.

Put in at the Severn river, take the bay directly south of Morrison landing.portage into the first pond from here and south into the next one.
You want to end up at at grid reference
206645.This is right at the railway track.
portage across. There is a small creek towards another pond and from there into lower Eastern at 198636. From there paddle and portage to Eastern and Matchedash.From Eastern into M. you have the choice to work yourself through beaverponds or take a short 200m portage.

Another way into Eastern is from a creek right beside swift rapids road.Start at the bridge at 167623.
Dont attempt this routes after June. You will be boged down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2002, 6:02 pm 

Markus,
Thx very much for your info. What you gave me is sufficient to plan a trip. In the "nice to know" category would be (a) any comments or recommendations on campsites (b) fishing info e.g. what types...I don't expect you to give away any secret spots you may have.
thx again,
wotrock

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 29th, 2002, 2:28 pm 
To Answer your quesion re fishing. Long lake has always been known as an excellent Large Mouth Bass lake. I have caught some huge ones in there. To a smaller degree you will also run accross Walleye and Muskie. Avoid this area on longweekends as it is very busy with fishermen and unfortunatly loud drunken partiers. Also, if you feel the need to eat the fish. Eat the small ones and put the large ones back. Good camp site on an island at the north east corner of the lake. Also, to find the trail leading to the lake look form km marker no.12 on the swift rapids road exit here and park up on the flat rock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2002, 7:39 pm 

thx for the info, Anon. Too bad about the crowds. what's it like on regular weekends?
I assume that if I were to portage into one of the Eastern lakes, it would be relatively "yahoo free". Any luck with the fish on those other lakes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2002, 7:49 pm 

Anonymous here. Iwas not logged in last time. Anyway, on a regular weekend you will see a few people but it should not be too bad. Go in mid week and you will have the whole lake to your self. I have never gone in via the eastern lakes. I would just enter via Swift Rapids rd. (much easier). A day trip into the eastern lakes is usually well worth it as the fishing for Large mouth again is quite good. I usually camp at a point near the bay that you would enter to go to the eastern lakes Have a look at the topo and it should make sense. Fishing is best in the bays down at the east end of Long Lake so it makes for a convenient little side trip in. I think that should be enough info. I trust you will not be leaving with any fish!!!Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2002, 8:11 pm 

Grizzly,
Thx very much. Yes, that's quite enough info.
Too much info would spoil the adventure! :smile:

It sounds like a good trip most any time, with the exception of long W/E as you mentioned.

No, I wouldn't bring any fish out of there.
thx again.
wotrock