It is currently March 19th, 2024, 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: March 31st, 2021, 7:26 pm 

So is it just me, or is there open water on Opeongo and Lavielle? Also Temiskaming, Lady Evelyn and Temagami?

Nevermind ... not sure what map/date I was looking at :oops:

Last edited by open_side_up on March 31st, 2021, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2021, 7:53 pm 

I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd bet on the ice coming off Opeongo next week, barring a cold snap.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2021, 8:23 pm 

open_side_up wrote:
So is it just me, or is there open water on Opeongo and Lavielle? Also Temiskaming, Lady Evelyn and Temagami?

No not yet

PostPosted: March 31st, 2021, 8:23 pm 

PacketFiend wrote:
I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd bet on the ice coming off Opeongo next week, barring a cold snap.

I I agree. Will likely be gone by next weekend

PostPosted: April 1st, 2021, 8:22 am 

aaand

https://globalnews.ca/news/7732546/covi ... ncy-brake/

wish it were an April Fools joke.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2021, 8:36 am 

Am I seeing things?? I Just checked the Zoom pic for today and Opeongo etc is all ice free!!?? (Their idea of a sick April Fools joke??)

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2021, 9:05 am 

wotrock wrote:
Am I seeing things?? I Just checked the Zoom pic for today and Opeongo etc is all ice free!!?? (Their idea of a sick April Fools joke??)

Maybe that’s the image that I saw yesterday???

PostPosted: April 1st, 2021, 9:10 am 

wotrock wrote:

Zoom has a bug where it shows a historical image if it hasnt had "todays" image uploaded yet.

From March 29 to March 30 it looks like significant snow melt though in Algonquin and rivers opening up.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2021, 8:34 am 

gnatwest wrote:
wotrock wrote:

Zoom has a bug where it shows a historical image if it hasnt had "todays" image uploaded yet.

From March 29 to March 30 it looks like significant snow melt though in Algonquin and rivers opening up.

Thx--I saw a similar pic on Wed and thought I was going crazy!! That puts a major dent in their credibility and usefulness.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2021, 2:27 pm 

Probably the best pic you will get today is this mornings HD image.

https://zoom.earth/#view=45.3388,-78.17 ... labels:off

With double digit highs for the next week (down to freezing at night) there should be substantial melting but what is really needed is a day or two of heavy rain but there is nothing at all in the forecast for the next 10+ days.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2021, 10:05 pm 

recped wrote:

With double digit highs for the next week (down to freezing at night) there should be substantial melting but what is really needed is a day or two of heavy rain but there is nothing at all in the forecast for the next 10+ days.

Thanks for posting! Looking pretty good for my planned April 25th trip to French River Delta and Phillip Edward Island.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2021, 10:09 am 

This morning's Lake of Bays webcam shows old ice partially melted around the margins and new thin ice that formed overnight... if LOB has ice, so will the large lakes in Algonquin.

https://bigwinisland.com/live-webcam/

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2021, 11:40 pm 

recped wrote:

It's true that certainly helps. But with mid teen Temps all week and above freezing Temps overnight, the ice will be all but gone in the park by next weekend

PostPosted: April 5th, 2021, 4:56 pm 

wotrock wrote:
gnatwest wrote:
wotrock wrote:

Thx--I saw a similar pic on Wed and thought I was going crazy!! That puts a major dent in their credibility and usefulness.

I dont know about that. They post two pictures everyday. A minor bug when the latest picture upload isnt complete isnt a big deal, you can go back one picture.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2021, 6:57 pm 

gnatwest wrote:

I dont know about that. They post two pictures everyday. A minor bug when the latest picture upload isnt complete isnt a big deal, you can go back one picture.

It happens when you zoom in too close, at some altitude level (5 miles?) it switches to the standard satellite view from the daily view.

As I mentioned up thread there is an "non-HD" layer with new images every ten minutes, for ice-out purposes the resolution is ok but not if you want to look at a small area.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next