|Canadian Canoe Routes
|Upper & Lower French River Closures Lifted on June 10
|Page 1 of 1|
|Author:||true_north [ June 10th, 2019, 3:18 pm ]|
|Post subject:||Upper & Lower French River Closures Lifted on June 10|
Update: Shortly after I posted the information and maps below, I phoned Sean Spencer, the acting park super, and was told that the closures of sections of the French River had been lifted as of 11:00 today. Still in place are closures of campsites at the east end of the Park near the Pickerel River.
Now that we have rescheduled a number of commitments, we're still going down early next week. If nothing else, it will allow the water level to decrease another two feet back towards normal.
Our trip down the French River from Lake Nipissing is on hold while water levels subside below the flood state that they have been in for the past month. Here is the French River Park notice from May 17 but still in effect -
Due to unseasonably high-water levels & Flood Warnings issued for Lake Nipissing, French River, Sturgeon River, & Wanapitei River by the MNRF, the following sections of French River Provincial Park have been deemed unsafe for navigation and are closed to all park users.
A number of campsites on the lower Pickerel River have also been chosed due to last summer's fire - Parry Sound 33 - which was started by blasting at the wind turbine project on nearby Henvey Inlet First Nation land.
You can find the above maps and info at a Twitter account maintained by the Park - scroll down to May 17
We've postponed our departure until next Tuesday and hope that the river will have been opened by then. In the meanwhile, we've got time to mull over some alternatives!
|Page 1 of 1||All times are UTC - 5 hours|
|Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group