It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 8th, 2019, 11:08 am 

I was recently on the Rideau system and I was surprised to see so much algae so early in the summer. Any suggestions for good lake and river areas in centre or east of the province where I can avoid the "yuck factor"?

PostPosted: July 8th, 2019, 1:23 pm 

Yeah sadly the Rideau is my home water now. Whereabouts are you located? What about Frontenac Provincial Park or North Frontenac Parklands? They are well located for anyone along the Rideau.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2019, 8:39 am 

The high algal production may be due to heavier than normal rainfall this year washing added nutrients into the water, causing algae to bloom and turn the water green. What you want is a lake with low nutrient levels where few algae can grow... oligotrophic meaning poor in production rather than eutrophic, high in algal production. Oligotrophic lakes are often deep, although there will be exceptions.

The closest deep/clear lake I've been at near the Rideau system is Mazinaw at Bon Echo PP. The water is transparent with a visibility while diving down of several meters. IIRC the north basin is the deepest and maybe the clearest.

Many lakes in Algonquin will stay clear and oligotrophic... one with very clear, blue water that's a pleasure to camp and swim in is Happy Isle NW of Opeongo off Hwy 60. There is a long port of about 2K but worth it for a base camp. Swimming in Opeongo on the way in will show the difference in water transparency. Both lakes have good smallmouth bass fishing, Opeongo can get crowded with motorboats since no ports are needed.