It is currently March 18th, 2024, 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Backcountry fees
PostPosted: March 12th, 2020, 3:30 pm 

Frozentripper, I too would like to write in. However I've never written in to an MP before, so I don't know where to start. Who would I send a letter off to, and what should I state?

PostPosted: March 13th, 2020, 5:38 am 

Tell them you're mad as hell and your aren't going to take it anymore......

PostPosted: March 13th, 2020, 7:03 am 

Dadadrop, if a written paper letter is what you want you could get an address by googling or phoning... I emailed.

MECP - Hon. Jeff Yurek | Minister | 416-314-6790 | minister.mecp@ontario.ca

I wrote plainly about what my concerns were... keep it brief and personal so your message is easily read and understood.

My main points:

- recently provincial park backcountry campsite fees have been increased at Massassauga and Temagami area parks

- for solo and couples visitors the new flat per-campsite fees will now be much higher than with the previous per-person fees

- information from the MECP and park staff states that this new fee model will be extended across Ontario

- these increased costs will prevent me and others from backcountry camping in provincial parks and discriminate against solo and couples visitors

- could the regular per person fees not have been kept in the interests of fairness for all Ontario residents

---------------------

MECP will probably send back something similar to the info in previous posts but it's another objection being heard, and at Queen's Park, represents the views of thousands of voting individuals.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2020, 8:35 am 

I'm glad I found this thread. I just recently joined this forum. I will be writing in as well.

I feel like paddlers should gear up for a large scale (email) response. The time to derail this "trial" is sooner rather than later before it gets too much bureaucratic momentum and cannot be reversed. In addition to a second reminder sometime shortly before the two year mark. This isn't my area of expertise but maybe someone else can comment on how to coordinate this.

Is there a way to present it as a larger issue to those on this forum? If a reader wasn't well informed on the subject or didn't read much past the first page of this thread they may think that this is mainly a Massassauga issue (where they may not regularly paddle) and not realize it's part of a two year Ontario Parks plan. It has the potential to affect many paddlers before they realize at a time when it's too late to do anything.

It's more likely that is Minister Jeff Yurek and others in power receive several messages, they are more likely to rethink this plan now.

I'm not caught up on my reading so maybe it's already been done but maybe this is something Paddling Magazine could write about and drum up supporters? Maybe there could be a brief message presented about the issue at the Ontario Backcountry Canoe Symposium with directions on how to write in? Maybe a regular reminder to listeners on "Paddling Adventures Radio"? Just tossing out the ideas popping into my head as I type.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2020, 10:06 am 

Does anyone have experience starting an online petition?

PostPosted: March 21st, 2020, 5:42 am 

I sent an email to David Smithco's office and received a reply to the effect that my comments had been forwarded to MPP Smithco.
I was also encouraged to use a phone number for the Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks.

1-800-565-4923

As well, I've filled out a petition on Change.org. The problem is that I need 5 signatures before it gets posted to the published list.
Go to Hugh Carey on Facebook : Back Country Fee Increases in Ontario

PostPosted: March 21st, 2020, 6:54 am 

Thanks for getting this petition started Hugh. I will most certainly sign it once it is published, but I don't facebook so I can't be one of your first 5 signatories.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2020, 8:30 am 

Thanks, Signed and shared.

Kinguq.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2020, 2:05 pm 

Thanks , folks. There are 19 signatures now.

Open-side-up: The petition should be available at Change.org.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2020, 7:32 pm 

Still wish there could be some kind d of compromise. Expensive if I just canoe with my wife , but when I canoed with my children and now with my grandchildren the new fees are very reasonable compared to my average of 60 dollars plus a night.

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

PostPosted: March 21st, 2020, 9:42 pm 

Thanks for putting that together Hugh. That price 'adjustment' is ridiculous. Here is the petition http://chng.it/ypLYJNnNwR

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2020, 7:16 am 

Thanks Hugh... over 200 signatures.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2020, 8:46 am 

This is a discovery experience for me. It seems that the petition can be shared by anyone who views it, so after you sign it, please hit share and send it off to your friends. The share button is probably at the bottom of the post.

As of 9:00 this morning, 222 signatures. The site recommends sharing more than once.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2020, 2:05 pm 

Thanks Hugh for starting this.
I have shared in on a number of facebook pages.
Those of us that understand we have to make some noise or face an uphill battle in other areas of our tripping.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: March 24th, 2020, 8:26 am 

chicopeesnowshoe wrote:
As well, I've filled out a petition on Change.org. The problem is that I need 5 signatures before it gets posted to the published list.
Go to Hugh Carey on Facebook : Back Country Fee Increases in Ontario

Hi Hugh, something pointed out on another forum. The Change.org petition is directed to Rod Phillips Minister of the Environment. The Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks is now Jeff Yurek, 416-314-6790 minister.mecp@ontario.ca. Don't know how much this mattes or if you can change the petition but thought I would bring it up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next