It is currently March 19th, 2024, 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Backcountry fees
PostPosted: March 25th, 2020, 6:15 am 

Thanks, Marten. Got it changed.

Almost 600 signatures now.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2020, 8:01 am 

I signed. Currently over 600 signatures...

PostPosted: March 25th, 2020, 12:04 pm 

This is super awesome. Feels like a good initial step. I'm wondering if the petition should include mention that this is a two year program that could extend across Parks Ontario as a whole? There's likely some more outrage out there if this was brought to light.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2020, 11:20 pm 

If they don't wake and have reasonable fees, they won't help parks' "survival"
How is it that Algonquin fees are still fine and Temagami's are outrageous?
If i went for a two week trip in Temagami it would cost me almost $700.00
I'll take the fine any day, also, in Temagami (and I know Temagami extremely well having canoed there since 1983), many access points are crown land (if not all) so a permit on the dash means nothing.

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
Mencken
You can never have too much education-me

PostPosted: March 26th, 2020, 7:09 am 

Don't get me started on The French River! Same fees for zero service, at least in the delta. And they tell you where you can and cannot camp to boot!!

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2020, 9:16 am 

Hi Mel;
take a closer look some levels (youth for example) of backcountry fees have increased dramatically in Algonquin.

I am still frustrated with the feels for tenting in a campground compared to the fees for trailers! My impact is low, and yes, I use the water, toilets, campsite/firepit clean up (although we always leave ours site/firepit cleaned up), interpretive systems and trails, but we don't use hydro or dumping stations, and always take our bit of garbage and recycling with us! I just don't feel the differential is enough.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2020, 11:29 am 

Hi Cheryl,
Algonquin: $12.43
Temagami Parks: $36.73
Triple the cost!
In Temagami, you can go in and out of parks and onto crown land on various trips and there is no way to accurately calculate the fees to be paid, especially since I (or we) usually make route alterations on the go and go a different way to get to the same spot (you can do that in lots of areas in Temagami), or decide to stay an extra day in some spots whether on crown land or in parks or even extend the trip if we like a particular area!!
A real mess this is with the fees!!

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
Mencken

PostPosted: March 26th, 2020, 11:38 am 

Fortunately, there still some parks in Ontario (far north) that have zero facilities and are considered non-operating, so no fees.
I won't mention any names but you know which ones they are :D
Other than that, its crown land for me, of which there is still a lot of areas to be explored!

Mencken

PostPosted: March 26th, 2020, 9:42 pm 

Otter Mel wrote:
Fortunately, there still some parks in Ontario (far north) that have zero facilities and are considered non-operating, so no fees.
I won't mention any names but you know which ones they are :D
Other than that, its crown land for me, of which there is still a lot of areas to be explored!

I'm sure you can expect more traffic on at least some crown use if these fee increases deploy. Additionally, not everyone has the time or resources to make use of these areas. Let's not lose sight of a potential opportunity to dissuade these changes from occurring.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2020, 6:46 am 

Good Morning Captain K.

I opted for the KISS method for the sake of brevity. Didn't want to get long winded and lose potential interest.This is the first time I've ever attempted anything like this, so don't be surprised if there are mistakes made.

I'm sure there are other platforms for circulating petitions, and I'm thinking that it would be a good thing if somebody started a second one from a different direction.

There are now well over 700 signatures, and I have already rewritten the introduction once and shared again on Facebook. Perhaps additional people could make sure they've shared on Facebook and other places. It will soon be time to figure out the steps needed to deliver this thing.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2020, 9:48 am 

Hi Folks,

I re-wrote the heading on the petition once again . we are at 836 signatures. Please look the petition up on Change.org and post it once more time.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2020, 8:52 am 

Well I got the letter off to the Government and the Parks people using my position of Conservatopm Chair of the Wilderness Canoe Assoc. (volunteer position) Looking for some answers and suggestions for our outdoor communities in this time.
It was actually really hard, under normal circumstances you would place your statements and back with various layers of evidence to support your arguments.
In point you would write a small novel.
I know most of of us are looking for some much better information on the Governments & parks plan so we can make plans to get back out there.
Under this Covid 19 pandemic things are very different.
If we want to to get answers we must be able to submit something that will be read, and hopefully open a dialogue to get more information and maybe get our points across.
In these times you have to understand that they don't have time for long winded reports, or rants.
So I started with my small novel (shorter than normal :) ) whittled it down a lot and then gave it to my Wife Anne that in her job writes reports for Executives that do get read.
So in the end it was short, concise and covered the major points that many of us are looking for answers.
(Anne made me look very good ;) )
Hopefully it will open the door for more open and discussions on what may happen in the months ahead.
We just have to remember these are very tough times.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: April 16th, 2020, 10:08 am 

Bill P wrote:
Still wish there could be some kind d of compromise. Expensive if I just canoe with my wife , but when I canoed with my children and now with my grandchildren the new fees are very reasonable compared to my average of 60 dollars plus a night.

This is why I would be open to a max cap on backcountry fees. Fees are per person until you reach the cap limit (i.e. $37 temagami, $47 massassuga or what ever it is). Win win for everyone!

From a government perspective, this is an easy sell as they are not retracting their decision on these parks, instead listening to the concerns of citizens and finding a workable solution for all. THIS is part of Fords current manta. I really feel we would have better traction messaging this way.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2020, 9:48 pm 

Update: As of August 10, 2020 the petition has 935 signatures.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2020, 8:52 am 

I think 900 contacting the ministers office/email etc would have more effect than one petition. Let's all chime in directly, I have.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next