It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 29th, 2020, 5:25 pm 

Hey all - planning a trip to the French next month, and just noticed the full extent of the wind farm lights from the McCoys much further south. They're bright!!! And constant!

Has anyone been up that way, and/or out to the Bustards and can report on how disruptive they are to the experience? Love the area but will pick another route if I'm going to be in the red light district.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2020, 9:05 am 

Are you referring to the Henley First Nation wind turbines? Unless there is more than one location along the Georgian Bay coast where there are wind turbines, those are the only ones you will see. They are not that obtrusive! However, here is a shot with my p&s Sony zoomed in at 720mm that I got from 20 km. away last June - we counted 51 of the planned 87 turbines.

The shot was taken from campsite 723 near the Fingerboards, just across from the Bustard lighthouses.

You write - Love the area but will pick another route if I'm going to be in the red light district.

The stretch of the bay from Philip Edward island to Franklin Island is the most beautiful and wild section of the entire bay. It would be a shame to not go paddling along this section of the Georgian Bay coast because of some red lights on the turbines after dusk. You would have to make an effort to see them. They will not be casting a red glow on your tent wall as you try to fall asleep!

PostPosted: June 30th, 2020, 9:12 pm 

Yes exactly - I did Hartley Bay --> Killarney last July via the Old Voyageur route and it was lovely, and have spent lots of time at the mouth of the French (down all the channels) but not since the wind turbines went in.

I was on the McCoys this past weekend and could see the lights from 60km+ away, and it was quite disruptive. Figured even more so than close by.

I appreciate your perspective. Won't let it kill my vibe for the most beautiful section of the bay, but hopefully will just find west-facing sites!

Love your blog, btw true_north.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 8:42 pm 

For anybody who reads this - as of May 2021, yes they're bad. No you do not want a campsite that faces them. But other than a few sites to the east of French River park, they probably won't bug you.