It is currently March 19th, 2024, 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 26th, 2021, 12:09 pm 

What a quirky site!

My bud and I are trying to book a few nites for a fishing trip in May. In previous years we have not tried to reserve a site. I know that this year the demand for car camping is very high so I am guessing that canoe camping will be similar.

I booked some nites for a family camp at the Georgian campground in Killbear a few days ago. Now, when I go on the parks site and try to see what is avail for paddle in sites I end up just seeing a map of the Georgian campground despite checking what seemed to be the right boxes----"Algon Backcountry", "Rock Lake" etc. I have rebooted at least twice since first trying and even tossed my cookies but still the same-----sticks like a booger at the end of a finger!!

Q 1 Has anybody else tried and booked?
2 Do you think there will be high demand in late May?
thx

Oh---and then there is this! "Backcountry Registration allows you to obtain a First Come First Serve interior camping permit up to two weeks in advance of your arrival date for parks that do not offer a reservation service for backcountry camping" say what??

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2021, 5:11 pm 

Wotrock. I understand your pain. In January 2020, OP unveiled their new online booking system and it is horribly glitchy to say the least. I'll offer a few suggestions based on my experience.

First off, try using another browser. I was using Firefox and was having a lot of the "stickiness" you speak of. It works sometimes on Chrome, other times it doesn't. When it doesn't I have logged off, closed my browser, re opened it and then it sometimes works. I have no idea why this happens but it does. Also, be patient. It takes FOREVER to load.

Regarding the backcountry registration, it is for those parks like French River, Temagami cluster, etc. These parks still require you to get a permit though you cannot book a specific site or Lake like Kawartha Highlands, Algonquin or the massassagua.

These can only be booked 2 weeks prior to your arrival at the park. There is no guarantee that you may even get a site during peak times like long weekends. Last August long weekend our group paddled an extra 12 km scrambling to find an available site on the French River. We got lucky and found one just before dark.

Sigh. It certainly does lead to user frustrations at times. For this reason I am exploring a lot more crown land opportunities before they, too, require permits. I love this hobby and I love the nature that this province has to offer. I just wish the system were a little different.

Last edited by Canoe Daddy on March 26th, 2021, 7:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2021, 5:26 pm 

"Oh---and then there is this! "Backcountry Registration allows you to obtain a First Come First Serve interior camping permit up to two weeks in advance of your arrival date for parks that do not offer a reservation service for backcountry camping" say what??"

my head hurts. I give up. I hope to paddle Pukaskwa. National Park.. LSPP seems to still be sane for backcountry. Just get a permit.

Hoping this virus situation chaos ends.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2021, 5:54 pm 

CD---re the French River---as Billy Crystal would say "Don't get me stahted"

Yes--I figured out what that bafflegab sentence really meant after poking about a bit. I just posted it for S & G. I will try with Firefox

PostPosted: March 27th, 2021, 4:00 am 

If crossing the border I read somewhere that everything is closed till April 21 and with the current numbers they will likely keep pushing that date forward a month at the time
Also a negative test result is needed otherwise a fine could be imposed

What a mess :(

PostPosted: March 28th, 2021, 8:46 am 

Worked fine with Firefox---booked for May 17 plus 3