It is currently March 19th, 2024, 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 5th, 2021, 10:15 am 

Helping friends in the area this summer and will have several opportunities to do one each of 2 night/2 days; 2 night/3 days; 5 nights 6-day trips if all goes well with my partner. Might be able to swing in more if I play my cards right. Wondering if there are any park'n play spots, on the water campsites on crownland, or loops that we could get on to. If I stay around my friends, I will just work! Anything is better than nothing... not sure we will get out on an extended trip this year or not.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2021, 1:40 pm 

I am watching this closely. Redrover 99, if you get any tips, I would appreciate it if you would pm me. Thanks

PostPosted: April 9th, 2021, 3:12 pm 

LAX if I learn anything I will let you know.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2021, 10:29 pm 

You could check out the Grassy River, Ivanhoe River, and Groundhog River.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2021, 10:12 am 

Thanks. I did read about the Ivanoe in the Routes section here https://news.ourontario.ca/nastawgan/123427/page/2 . This article has similar info to below, but it seems to be missing the 2nd page of the article.
There a trip log from 1998 (Kinogama/Ivanhoe) Kormack (which he doesn't advise) by Kevin Callan in "Further up the Creek" that I found (thanks for sending me the info Cheryl), in the old Canoe Route of Ontario. I don't have enough time to start that far up, even if I could find the "old logging" road into Tooms Lake. I will keep looking.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2021, 1:32 pm 

I am glad you read the Nastawgan trip log. What a tale! It could have been a nightmare situation. I forgot to tell you when I sent the info, that both trips were in 1998, low water years, and that Callan chose not to run the river around the 3km portage. As you can see from Don's report, that was the right decision. Take a look at Google Earth. There is a tonne of logging roads. Looks like an active area. I mapped out the distance from the N, and I think, at logging road speed, it would take a day to get down a point where the river could be accessed.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2021, 5:50 am 

I did the Ivanhoe river maybe 25yrs ago. Still talk about it today. Moose, bear and endless pike. We went up and saw an old friend Pierre Gagnon. He moved away from Folyet some time ago, but if you want any help with the area I would try Phil Gagnon. He owns the general store. If Phil can't help, he'll know who can, great people up there.
Pierre helped us in getting in touch with a local trapper. He let use a cabin a couple nights, in return we just had to inspect it for bear damage and we did clean it up for him.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2021, 7:43 am 

Thanks for the info!