It is currently March 19th, 2024, 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Naiscoot to Miskokway
PostPosted: April 9th, 2021, 8:33 am 

My bud and I have planned a fish trip to Algon on May 17. It looks quite likely now that the park will be closed then so we are considering a "Plan B' on crown land. Does anybody have any details re Miskokway? I did a search and found very little. Portages? Campsites? It looks like it might have 3-4 cottages although the map on the Ont siite shows just 1 exclusion from the conservation reserve. There are buildings at the far E end and a road/trail down from Bolger. I know Bolger is quite a busy cottage lake so maybe Mis gets a lot of traffic from there. Or is that an outpost for a fishing camp?

thx for any info

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2021, 5:44 pm 

Portages, I can say that a few seasons ago I carried from Bolger to Miskokway and have carrier up from Wilson and unnamed lake a few times.

The Bolger to Misko portage was long, boring, but at least social - with all the cottagers stopping to ask if we needed help. From Naiscoot to Wilson and then the carry to the unnamed lake is well trodden. I've largely resigned myself to carry twice on portages, so the steady but easy climb gets to be enjoyed twice. Usually a bit wet in places but nothing off putting. There is quite a large and interesting campsite on the east end of the unnamed lake. From there the carry to Misko is straight forward and I recall a couple of campsite and cabins on the lake. Largest compound being on the east end with barking dogs and scattered camp debris.

I don't have access to my GPS files at the moments but, things are obvious and just about where you would expect them to be.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2021, 7:50 pm 

Thx Darryl for your info.

We have been re-thinking this a bit. Maybe it would be easier to drive over the rough rd into Bolger and portage West. I guess we would only have to lug our gear from the intersection where the trail goes W toward Misk. Anybody know what rd has been like in the past few years? Have any improvements been made? thx

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.