It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 13th, 2021, 12:16 pm 

Ralph wrote:
We had a kayaker come along on a trip in lake country with a number of portages. My experience was that not only was the kayak difficult to portage but his gear, which was of necessity packed in small, long bags, was difficult to portage. Even more of a problem was finding landings when you could relatively easily get into and out of the kayak. At some landings it was fine but at many it was very difficult to enter or exit the kayak.

To tackle item #1, a tip I picked up from a Youtuber (Kayak Hipster), was to bring some Ikea shopping bags to toss a bunch of the loose stuff into. They are quite large and strong, and don't take up much additional room in the kayak.

I'm currently planning a kayaking trip that will have a few short portages and my plan was to bring a few Ikea bags and my ultralight hiking backpack which is made of dyneema and packs down fairly small when not in use. Fully loaded it would not fit in the hatches of my sea kayak unfortunately.

Will still be a royal pain unpacking and packing at every portage of course, but I'm hoping the portages themselves will be more manageable.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2021, 7:45 pm 

Eddy Turn wrote:
littleredcanoe wrote:
canoeguitar wrote:
There are some big, interconnected lakes in the Temagami area where you could cruise (kayak) for multiple days with very little lifting and still get that intimate backcountry experience.

and expensive!

Now one has to think twice before recommending Temagami. New reality, alas. A trip between Obabika and Diamond lakes looks very inviting for a kayak, but it's 100% provincial parks and would be priced accordingly.

What do you mean by this?

PostPosted: April 21st, 2021, 7:50 pm 

Ralph wrote:
We had a kayaker come along on a trip in lake country with a number of portages. My experience was that not only was the kayak difficult to portage but his gear, which was of necessity packed in small, long bags, was difficult to portage. Even more of a problem was finding landings when you could relatively easily get into and out of the kayak. At some landings it was fine but at many it was very difficult to enter or exit the kayak.

I have a sit-on kayak. I am having a hard time thinking this is difficult to enter or exit.. I guess not having done this makes this a mystery to me and perhaps something to avoid based on all you advice. However, I don't see a smaller trip (2 or 3 nights) with a couple of short portages being much of a problem... As a fisherman, you cannot compare fishing from a kayak and canoe.. especially my model. It's built for stability and fishing in mind - rod holders, storage, etc.. Just thought I'd throw the topic out there to see what other thought! thanks!

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2021, 8:43 am 

The kayak that my friend used was a sit-inside type and I can see that would be much different to enter or exit than a sit-on-top kayak. I have not paddled a sit-on-top kayak but it seems that entry and exit would be similar to a canoe so those entries and exits would not be the issue that my friend had. Storage would be different also because you could have a larger dry bag or two on your deck compared to having to put everything inside small hatches. Carrying the kayak seems like it would be the most difficult part. Give it a go and let us know how it went.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2021, 10:22 am 

Ralph wrote:
The kayak that my friend used was a sit-inside type and I can see that would be much different to enter or exit than a sit-on-top kayak. I have not paddled a sit-on-top kayak but it seems that entry and exit would be similar to a canoe so those entries and exits would not be the issue that my friend had. Storage would be different also because you could have a larger dry bag or two on your deck compared to having to put everything inside small hatches. Carrying the kayak seems like it would be the most difficult part. Give it a go and let us know how it went.

Precisely what I have been trying to get across... for storage, entry/exit, they are superior to the sit-in types. Yes, carrying would be a challenge - but I am thinking about a few lakes in the Frost Centre -smaller portages, loops, etc.. One of the lakes I want to camp on is only 1 portage in - 300 metres, from a paved road.

I will be doing a test run to that lake for just a day trip. Will post after I see how it goes.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2021, 1:44 pm 

My comment doesn't really apply to a solo kayak paddler, but I offer it here for a group of kayakers who may want an alternative method of portaging double kayaks. Our group has successfully and easily carried doubles using 4 people 'hand gripping' alternate sides of bow and stern cockpits ... for short portages or by utilizing carrying straps under the hull at each end ... for longer more rugged terrain.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2021, 4:31 pm 

Fescue wrote:
Eddy Turn wrote:
Now one has to think twice before recommending Temagami. New reality, alas. A trip between Obabika and Diamond lakes looks very inviting for a kayak, but it's 100% provincial parks and would be priced accordingly.

What do you mean by this?

I meant what I said: it's pricey for a small group. The cost of a camping permit for Temagami parks is around or over $40/night.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2021, 3:03 pm 

I have a Delta 12-10 kayak, and I bought it specifically for doing camping trips in Algonquin. I have an old internal frame backpack that I modified so it can carry five large drybags hanging off of it. I put all my gear in those five dry bags, so packing and unpacking the kayak is relatively painless. The Delta 12-10 has really big hatch openings front and rear, so fitting stuff in is no problem. I put three of the dry bags in the back, and two in the front. The back frame goes inside in the back hatch, and my portage yoke goes in the very front of the kayak.

I have my little camping tarp out in the above picture, but it normally goes into the drybag that holds my sleeping bag.

This is the portage yoke I made, following (more or less) the instructions from KayakCamper on YouTube. I've since made a newer version, which works better. I'll be heading back up to Algonquin in late August, so I'll try and get some good pictures then.

The Delta 12-10 weighs in at 41 lbs empty, so it is reasonably light to carry as well.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2021, 5:31 pm 

Nice setup.

Looks like you've got it down.
I like the modern packboard meets drybags way of carrying. Very smart.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2021, 7:08 pm 

Here's a closeup of my new yoke:

Just as an aside, here was my campsite last September, on a solo trip I did.

The five dry bags I carry contain:

Sleeping pad
Hammock & inflatable pillows
Sleeping bag & tarp
Clothing
Cooking/Camp Gear/Food

Plus, I also bring my little chair (which you can see in the picture above).

Here's a picture of my modified backpack:

I cut away the bag completely, and just left the frame, shoulder straps, and waist belt. I added an aluminum angle-bar along the top, and made the ends pivot so I can fold them to fit into the rear hatch cover:

I use cheap dollar store aluminum caribiners to hold the dry bags, and then use nylon straps with snap buckles to help keep the bottoms of the five bags where they are supposed to be.

Finally, here's a pic of my kayak sitting on my Jeep, as I was finishing my trip last year (Magnetawan Lake).

- Jon