It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 16th, 2021, 9:53 am 

What is the weather like early May in Killarney? This will be the first time I am out so early in the season, so I'm trying to get a feel on my situation.

And how are the mosquitoes? Will it be bad enough that I should bring a bug mask just in case?

Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2021, 11:17 am 

You may have to postpone:
"During the current provincial stay-at-home order, overnight stays including campgrounds, backcountry campsites and roofed accommodations in Ontario Parks will remain closed until further notice in order to help stop the spread of COVID-19 and support Ontario’s further provincial restrictions." http://www.ontarioparks.com/covid19

"Recreational camping is prohibited on public land, including Crown land until further notice. This is to stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus and protect the health and well-being of Ontarians. " https://www.ontario.ca/page/recreationa ... LljdoQ0aE4

PostPosted: April 16th, 2021, 12:14 pm 

Due to the fact we had such an early spring, I feel like the bugs will be bad before May long weekend. I will definitely bring a bug mask as they can be relentless. The cooler weather that we are having today might keep the bugs away longer but it depends on the conditions.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2021, 12:44 pm 

newbman, I presume you mean only if the current stay-at-home orders are lifted?

PostPosted: April 16th, 2021, 1:23 pm 

Sounds like they are adding 6 weeks to the stay at home lock down, end of May before camping opens again. Add in the recently announced vaccine slowdown and it doesn't look good.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2021, 3:44 pm 

krpt wrote:
What is the weather like early May in Killarney? This will be the first time I am out so early in the season, so I'm trying to get a feel on my situation.

And how are the mosquitoes? Will it be bad enough that I should bring a bug mask just in case?

Thanks a lot.

In my experience I find no bugs at all really before Mothers Day. Then generally in the week following the Black Flies start to hatch but don't really start to swarm or bite until suddenly they seem to switch over! Nothing a bug jacket and some spray can't solve, but enough to keep me home usually until they start to calm down again.

Sometimes ice is still in on Mothers Day on some lakes. I wouldn't expect that this year, not that any of us are going to get to see much of it.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2021, 4:07 pm 

Stay at home order extended until May 22. I guess that kills my hopes of beating the black flies...

PostPosted: April 17th, 2021, 1:36 pm 

Thanks guy for the tips. With the new lockdown, my thread was started in vain.