It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Upper Wanapitei River
PostPosted: April 16th, 2021, 3:58 pm 

I am looking for information on the upper section of the Wanapitei River, from the area near Felix down to Wanapitei Lake. Our group is thinking about doing rail access and paddling this route over a week in August. Everything I have read indicates that it is best to do this river in the spring but I am wondering if anyone has attempted it in August. There is a trip report on this site from a Sep trip that sounds pretty tough but the post script seems to indicate that even the week before the route would have been much better.

Also the authors of the trip reports were obviously using some formal documentation of the route so it would be great to track that down.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2021, 6:40 pm 

I haven't paddled from Felix, I usually run the "lower" northern Wanapitei river as a day trip once or twice a year, from big lynx/little lynx lakes area down to the open "pit" off the road near Fraleck Lake. The river is adjacent to the road the whole time.

I've now run it in very high water (last spring it was awesome), medium water (this season right after ice out) and low water (mid-late summer). I can tell you that running this section in low water was certainly the least enjoyable of the three. This section is doable in low water, however you will scrape your boat quite a bit on some of the rapids. Furthermore, I would imagine that further upriver the water would be even lower, such as in the trip from Felix you suggest - you might experience more wading and lining in the more northern sections.

With the low water levels expected this year I would think it's best to save this trip for another year, unless we get a ton of rain in the weeks and days leading up to your trip. The trip you describe is something I've wanted to do for a while as well!