It is currently March 19th, 2024, 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: April 20th, 2021, 7:20 pm 

Dave Bailey wrote:
Flip-flopping by scientists is perfectly understandable, even expected, because science changes as new data and evidence is collected and evaluated. But flip-flopping by politicians, contrary to any current scientific assessment, is unacceptable.

Exactly!!!

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2021, 7:35 pm 

The media and pols frustrate me. Cases are climbing that is true. But hospitalizations are steady and deaths.. well our CDC director tripped today. He was asked about the death reported today and that was a person already in hospice. When asked about the death there was a long pause before he said the person died of covid.

I think the more accurate description would have been died with covid. Not of. There is a distinction.

This virus is not leaving anytime soon and the fingers point everywhere. Now its at the "irresponsible " teens on break ( gee I think most of them are working as servers or at grocery stores!)

I am not minimizing the loss of life. Sure it can be serious . But our numbers of cases are climbing. And over half of us are fully immunized. Immunization does not prevent Covid. It does prevent serious cases that require hospitalization or result in death. We have to live with this disease.

The real problem for us here in Maine IMO is that we live in proximity to the squeaky clean quite covid free provinces that comprise the Maritimes. Ye who live in the rest of Canada can't go there either.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2021, 10:23 pm 

Well LRC, our real problem here in Ontario is trying to avoid getting Covid until after we too get fully immunized. Hence all the shut downs. Everybody shits on Ford but he is getting ever-changing advice based on ever-changing medical science. He has been trying to allow some sort of balance with the economy. I do not agree with targeting all outdoor activities such as camping, but with ICU numbers going through the roof I don't judge too harshly - he probably should be shutting down more non-essential businesses.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2021, 6:10 am 

Dave Bailey wrote:
Flip-flopping by scientists is perfectly understandable, even expected, because science changes as new data and evidence is collected and evaluated. But flip-flopping by politicians, contrary to any current scientific assessment, is unacceptable.

I don't think it's really even flip-flopping by scientists. More like media flip flopping around on what they report "scientists are saying" while leaving very little if any references to who these "scientists" are.

Politicians are just politicians, you hope you elect one that has a principals before populism but in the end they want to be re-elected and feel a need to be seen taking action.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2021, 7:45 am 

Petit.Conan wrote:
Dave Bailey wrote:

I don't think it's really even flip-flopping by scientists. More like media flip flopping around on what they report "scientists are saying" while leaving very little if any references to who these "scientists" are.

Politicians are just politicians, you hope you elect one that has a principals before populism but in the end they want to be re-elected and feel a need to be seen taking action.

The report I read clearly attributed comments re the ineffective measures to the head of the Science Advisory Table. Any flip flopping done lately has been purely political.

The countries who have been successful have from the beginning that there is no 'balance' between heath and the economy. They enacted stringent measures from the beginning and are now reaping the economic rewards as well as the health ones. Mark Carney, who understands a few things about economics, has made this vey point.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2021, 11:49 am 

wotrock wrote:
Petit.Conan wrote:
Dave Bailey wrote:

The report I read clearly attributed comments re the ineffective measures to the head of the Science Advisory Table. Any flip flopping done lately has been purely political.

The countries who have been successful have from the beginning that there is no 'balance' between heath and the economy. They enacted stringent measures from the beginning and are now reaping the economic rewards as well as the health ones. Mark Carney, who understands a few things about economics, has made this vey point.

What report did you read that said this? Who is the head of the Science Advisory Table? I see two Co-Chairs and a Scientific director. No ubiquitous head. https://covid19-sciencetable.ca/about/

I'm not trying to be confrontational. It's just the issue I'm raising. People say that someone else said and it's reported like a fact, but it seems a lot of the time now it's not even what was said at all.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2021, 11:59 am 

I guess I should have said director---maybe one of many?---rather than head
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as ... -1.5993370

PostPosted: April 21st, 2021, 12:57 pm 

It's all good. Thanks for the sources :)

I just feel like I'm treated like a mushroom by the government and the media. Kept in the dark and constantly fed ****.

I'm also none too pleased about being turned into a criminal just because I want to go canoe camping. That's a really hard one to swallow.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2021, 1:48 pm 

Petit.Conan wrote:
It's all good. Thanks for the sources :)

I just feel like I'm treated like a mushroom by the government and the media. Kept in the dark and constantly fed ****.

I'm also none too pleased about being turned into a criminal just because I want to go canoe camping. That's a really hard one to swallow.

:(

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2021, 1:05 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

This made a very appropriate conclusion, so how about we just leave the topic at that.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2