It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: West of the West Branch
PostPosted: April 21st, 2021, 12:46 pm 

I was looking for some information or even a trip report for the area West of the West Branch of the Spanish river. I read a trip report a few months back by a Mr. Kraus I believe where he and a partner exited the train at Sheahan and portaged into Pogamasing Lake and explored some of the surrounding lakes and reconnected with the Spanish via Bluewater Lake. With these lakes being so close to the Spanish I don't think this area see's a lot of paddlers a year. But then I got thinking that a longer route might be possible as well, starting at Biscotasi, Indian, Mozhabong. Now from Mozhabong it looks possible to use Mile Lake or Dusty Lake to Sinaminda Lake. In Mr. Kraus's report they made it to Sinaminda, so from there to Dennie Lake, Little Pogamasing, Pogamasing, Kennedy Lake, Bluewater Lake, Spanish River. Any info would be fantastic.
CHEERS!

PostPosted: April 21st, 2021, 3:36 pm 

Be sure to check out Brad Jennings (ExploretheBackCountry) report on paddling the West Spanish Forest.

https://www.explorethebackcountry.com/single-post/2015/11/28/The-Wilds-of-the-West-Spanish-Forest

PostPosted: April 21st, 2021, 4:10 pm 

Look up canoeing.ca has a trip report of what you are looking for

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2021, 1:00 pm 

Scott white wrote:
But then I got thinking that a longer route might be possible as well, starting at Biscotasi, Indian, Mozhabong. Now from Mozhabong it looks possible to use Mile Lake or Dusty Lake to Sinaminda Lake. In Mr. Kraus's report they made it to Sinaminda, so from there to Dennie Lake, Little Pogamasing, Pogamasing, Kennedy Lake, Bluewater Lake, Spanish River. Any info would be fantastic.
CHEERS!

The route from Bisco through to Sinaminda (via Dusty) is an established route. It's written up in one of Kevin Callan's books under the title "Biscotasing Lake to Sheahan." (Sheahan is just about 1 km east of Pogamasing Lake.)

You can find other references to this route or part of this route by searching on this site (i.e. myccr.com). Here's a link to comments around a trip I did on part of that route 8 years ago: https://myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic. ... 08&t=41660

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2021, 2:53 pm 

Thanks for the information folks it much appreciated. I was unaware that it was an established loop, I was making the mistake of searching out some of the lakes in the route. Thanks again.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2021, 5:33 pm 

http://www.canoedog.ca/2012/12/spanish- ... asing.html

"There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going"-unknown