It is currently September 17th, 2021, 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 1:22 pm 

Has anybody taken this road lately (Cinder Lake Access Point/poker lakes)? Does anybody know if the road is maintained, cleared from falling trees etc.

on another note, I tried to reach Crosson Lake on Sun. Jul 23rd on the old Wagon Road from 118 and fell short about 1.9 kms due massive fallen trees blocking the way. Old wagon road is in rougher shape than it was 3 or 4 yrs ago and it looks like they have stopped clearing the falling trees. If you attempt this road don't forget your chainsaw.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 1:49 pm 

any good routes thru Crosson?

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 2:11 pm 

As far as I know, Crosson lake is a a dead end. I canoed & fished it once. I also tried to find a passage to Wrist Lake but there was a lot of fallen trees that blocked the entrance to a small river connecting the 2 lakes. I didn't see any way to get over it and bushwacking was out of the question for me.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 4:44 pm 

Thx. Mostly a bass lake I guess. Fishing any good?

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 8:12 pm 

my fishing experience was limited due to rain & time constraints. I fished for about 15 minutes from shore and caught a nice bass that was about 3lbs. I lost another one which broke off and that's when I called it quits. These fish were hitting my lure hard. I can only imagine that the fishing must be good. But like I mentioned, the road is blocked with trees and you will need a 4wd vehicle to get through.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 1:32 pm 

It's been few years since I drove on this road, but I was in the area two weeks ago and I suppose that road should be in decent condition since there's logging operation are in progress on Cinder lake road. Loggers usually maintain access roads well, at least I wouldn't expect any fallen trees, and water level are getting back to normal, so those two water crossings should be not too bad if loggers didn't build bridges already. But it's just my guess, if I'm in the area again any soon I'll check it out.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2017, 8:56 am 

scanny wrote:
It's been few years since I drove on this road, but I was in the area two weeks ago and I suppose that road should be in decent condition since there's logging operation are in progress on Cinder lake road. Loggers usually maintain access roads well, at least I wouldn't expect any fallen trees, and water level are getting back to normal, so those two water crossings should be not too bad if loggers didn't build bridges already. But it's just my guess, if I'm in the area again any soon I'll check it out.

Thanks for the info, what was your experience on the road when you last drove on it & what type of vehicle did you use?

PostPosted: July 27th, 2017, 11:54 am 

izzy wrote:

Thanks for the info, what was your experience on the road when you last drove on it & what type of vehicle did you use?

I think that it you drove to Crosson lake you have nothing to worry about. That part which leads to Crosson lake from Old Wagon road actually more challenging that any part of Cinder Lake access road as far as I remember.
I drove to Cinder lake last time two years ago, water crossings were completely dry, there were few rocks sticking out and little off-camber part, but not too bad. I have Toyota 4Runner, but I think that a crossover with high clearance would make this road just fine. I would worry about washouts and high water level this year but since loggers started to use this road I would expect it to be in decent shape. I got video of water crossing when I drove this road first time 5 years ago, probably irrelevant now, but this was the biggest obstacle on this road then : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a7WMWJ ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: July 27th, 2017, 3:41 pm 

scanny wrote:

I drove to Cinder lake last time two years ago, water crossings were completely dry, there were few rocks sticking out and little off-camber part, but not too bad. I have Toyota 4Runner, but I think that a crossover with high clearance would make this road just fine. I would worry about washouts and high water level this year but since loggers started to use this road I would expect it to be in decent shape.

I drove into Cinder last September in my Subaru Outback. It was still fairly easy while taking it slow. Someone made it back there in a Chevy sedan, no idea how much trouble they had but they were succesful.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2017, 7:46 am 

I checked out this road yesterday. Took me about 12 min to drive to the lake. First half of the road has been improved by loggers and it's like a regular gravel road, can be driven in a sports car. Improved part of the road ends with big opening with logs stored for transporting out. After that Cinder Lake road is an old one rugged forest road. I'd say if about the same I remember it, with 4x4 and high clearance it's easy to drive on, just take it slowly and pay attention in few places. Probably road is passable on a passenger car if you have good driving skills and not afraid to scratch your vehicle. I wouldn't take a regular car there though. I saw a minivan on my way there, but I think it reached unimproved part of road and turned back. I put dashcam video on youtube https://youtu.be/u1jZLzDR5DU . You can skip first 5 min since there's noting exciting about road except of course it's nice relaxing driving : ) For some reason 1080p quality looks a little bit worse on youtube then a raw dashcam video. And keep in mind that on videos and pictures it's always seems easier than in real life.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2017, 10:50 am 

scanny wrote:
I checked out this road yesterday. Took me about 12 min to drive to the lake. First half of the road has been improved by loggers and it's like a regular gravel road, can be driven in a sports car. Improved part of the road ends with big opening with logs stored for transporting out. After that Cinder Lake road is an old one rugged forest road. I'd say if about the same I remember it, with 4x4 and high clearance it's easy to drive on, just take it slowly and pay attention in few places. Probably road is passable on a passenger car if you have good driving skills and not afraid to scratch your vehicle. I wouldn't take a regular car there though. I saw a minivan on my way there, but I think it reached unimproved part of road and turned back. I put dashcam video on youtube https://youtu.be/u1jZLzDR5DU . You can skip first 5 min since there's noting exciting about road except of course it's nice relaxing driving : ) For some reason 1080p quality looks a little bit worse on youtube then a raw dashcam video. And keep in mind that on videos and pictures it's always seems easier than in real life.

wow !, amazing ! thanks for taking the time to post this invaluable information. That forest road looks pretty narrow for some long stretches, it would be a real challenge if someone came the other way and had to squeeze by.

I look forward to attempting this trip in the future !

Thanks again !

PostPosted: August 10th, 2017, 2:56 pm 

izzy wrote:

wow !, amazing ! thanks for taking the time to post this invaluable information. That forest road looks pretty narrow for some long stretches, it would be a real challenge if someone came the other way and had to squeeze by.

I look forward to attempting this trip in the future !

Thanks again !

No problem, I'm glad I could help. Most of access roads are narrow but normally it's not an issue, in rare occasion you see incoming vehicle in most of the cases you can turn right in grass along the road and make some space. Or somebody will have to back up a little if dich is too deep or rocks/trees are right beside road. A lot of drivers in modified trucks are usually happy to have a reason to go off the road and make space for you : )

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 8:39 am 

But isn't Cinder easy to get to via a couple of short(ish) ports?

PostPosted: August 14th, 2017, 6:32 am 

The lakes there are all connected by well marked portages. My wife and I did the whole loop, starting from highway 118 in part of a day, stopping for lunch on Cinder Lake.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2017, 7:10 pm 

Thx, WH, but I was wondering how much of an incentive NORMAL people had to drive right to Cinder!! :lol: :roll: :wink: