It is currently March 18th, 2024, 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 30th, 2021, 1:34 pm 

@Martin2007 & @Eddy Turn: Outstanding! Thank you so much.

@dbogey: though I am only in the planning stages like yourself, I second Hap Wilson's guide and I've also been making use of the Ottertooth site, mentioned above: http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chiniguchi.htm

PostPosted: August 30th, 2021, 4:24 pm 

Brad Jennings of explorethebackcountry.com has some nice homemade maps integrated into some of their youtube videos. Take screenshots and print. At least for West Montreal river and Temagami river.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2021, 1:25 pm 

bigcat19 wrote:
Thank you all for the info. Super useful. If it's doable at a not-too-urgent pace in 8 running days+2 or 3 rest days, that should work for us.

@Airbag: Thanks, I wouldn't have thought to have checked the OPG site for water levels. Had been looking at the Can Gov water level site, but they only had current data on the Sturgeon.

@Martin2007: I couldn't find that trip report you mentioned, but good to know that there are some tough portages. Our boats are reasonable weights and we single carry, so not a deal breaker.

@Martin2007 & @Eddy Turn: How long did it take you from Upper Goose Falls to Kelly's portage? This seems to be quite a long, slow stretch.

I was thinking the Gawasi route would be easier but one of the trip reports says that the 3.5km portage is wide, easy, and they did it in less than an hour. Anyone done both and have a preference?

Also, anyone have a preference between the three routes from Muskinonge to Matagamasi: via Cafafel/via Potvin/via Karl?

I canoed the sturgeon river route from Matagamasi in September 2020. That trip took place during an especially cold and wet week in September, which pushed up the river levels on the Sturgeon to about 20-25 m3/s. The section from Upper Goose to Kelly's took us one fairly long day of paddling, and that was being helped along by the relatively quick current / water levels. We also didn't take much of any breaks (lunch floating down the river) due to the pouring rain. We started mid-afternoon on a Saturday and paddled in a couple km to the first site. We paddled out a short distance that Friday, making our trip 6 nights, with two half days on either end. We'd been planning on doing it in 7 nights, but shortened it due to the poor weather. FYI, we didn't see either of the two campsites that our map indicated as being present between Lower Goose and Kelly's. We could've missed them, but maybe don't count on them. You could camp on some sandy point bars if you need a spot to camp along that section though, but you wouldn't have much tree coverage for a tarp. I'd suggest having a GPS with you to help you avoid missing the Kelly's portage...It's fairly easy to miss the turnoff. After Wolf lake we saw only one other person. The campsite at the end of the 1175m portage between Parsons Lk and the sturgeon R isn't very nice...it's basically at the end of an ATV trail in like a little parking area and has no view of the river. After Wolf lake we saw only on other person on the entire trip.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2021, 7:33 pm 

@Airbag: Will do, thanks!

@macT: Thanks for the tips. I won't likely have a GPS, so I'll have to print out some detailed topos and just keep a really close eye on where we are in that long stretch. Appreciate the heads up.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2022, 4:55 pm 

A couple more questions as I plan this trip out:

1. In order to shave some time off of this trip, we're thinking of leaving the Sturgeon R. at Halleck Cr. and coming into McCarthy Bay-->Colin Scott L.-->Donald L. via Rawson L., Evelyn L., etc. This allows us to do most of the WW on the Sturgeon and reduces our KMs by bypassing the winding section of the Sturgeon. Any pros/cons of Sturgeon R. to Donald L. via Halleck/Rawson/Evelyn vs. Sturgeon to Donald via Kelly's? Will the increased number and difficulty of the portages, going against the current on Halleck Cr., or any other factors cancel out any gains from the reduced KMs?

2. Trip starts last week of June. Are we likely to run into issues parking at Matagamasi? Ottertooth mentions it can get pretty busy in the summer and mentions a few other options. What's the best plan B from among those options? (Lakeland Lodge, Sportsman's Lodge, the Pit, any others?)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

PostPosted: March 7th, 2022, 6:35 pm 

Hi Bigcat, I guess you enjoy the planning as much as I do :). Altogether the Halleck creek route is very deserving and a shorter way to McCarthy than the alternative. You might consider camping at Upper Goose falls before leaving the river - it will add may be 3-4 hours to your trip, no extra portaging. Chiniguchi in June is mostly deserted and parking should be aplenty (and portages overgrown - early in season I usually find loppers more useful than a saw). If in trouble - the gravel pit is an easy alternative (there's a space to unload and turn the car around right by the creek, but park a little bit further away). Sportsman's is not free and the lodge is under new management, which I don't find too inviting. Also, their prices took quite a hike.
If you rely on Jeff's map beware that it misplaces portage landings on Gold lake.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2022, 8:50 pm 

Ya man, I love looking at the maps and figuring all this stuff out. Once again, all sorts of specific and highly useful information, Eddy Turn! Much obliged!