It is currently March 19th, 2024, 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2021, 5:00 pm 

I spoke to Dawn at The French River PP office today and I can confirm that yes, some campsites have been renumbered...the new maps showing the new numbers should be in next week...the map will include a "key" showing the old and the new number of each site...apparently the new numbers are already on the sites in addition to the sites GPS coordinates...Dawn is an incredible resource!

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2021, 7:31 pm 

I suggest that unless the park is willing to fix the many errors on the map, esp delete the many bogus campsites ( i.e those that are quite unsuitable for tents----see, for e.g. the note added to the Unlostify map around Fox Bay) that you save your $$. I do not see much value in 'cosmetic' changes such as re-numbering sites, esp the bogus ones. Park staff need to go inspect their sites and see the reality 'on the ground' if a new map is to be of any help. (Lessons learned from sorry experience, esp in the delta)

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2021, 8:03 pm 

Hopefully they have with this new map wotrock...the map will be especially helpful for those that can't get a hard copy of the Unlostify map (backordered almost everywhere), don't pre-trip plan with the Unlostify map online in advance and don't 'cross-reference' it with a topo or BRB that is geo-tagged (e.g. Avenza on a smart phone) or similar map loaded on their GPS

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2021, 8:54 pm 

goneagainjon wrote:
Hopefully they have with this new map wotrock...the map will be especially helpful for those that can't get a hard copy of the Unlostify map (backordered almost everywhere), don't pre-trip plan with the Unlostify map online in advance and don't 'cross-reference' it with a topo or BRB that is geo-tagged (e.g. Avenza on a smart phone) or similar map loaded on their GPS

Based on my correspondence a few years back with the park supt I am not hopeful at all that they will make any meaningful changes. His promise, or at least implication, that thunderboxes were being installed was fralse---10 yrs later and few, if any, out in the delta. So I say to readers----save your money The incompetence displayed by relocating 918 to match the map rather trhan the other way about is simply mind boggling!! As is placing a new sign on a site in Fox Bay that has, at best, one tent pad suitable for a small tent.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2021, 9:34 pm 

I hear ya' wotrock! My trip in 3 weeks will only be my second in the French River PP...in Algonquin, my "home park", a number of fellow trippers have done an amazing job with the affiliated Algonquin Adventures message board...a great catalog and description of many of the park's campsites, including accessibility, number of tent pads, and degree of protection from the elements! Barry B does a terrific job and volunteers like Cody with all of his campsite write-ups benefit us all...when you don't know the #of permits assigned to a region of the French River it makes it extremely difficult...especially given that many sites cannot accommodate more than 1 tent (unlike many places sites in less rocky parks)...add in that it's a river system - and the number of permits are not limited as they are for example on a given lake in Algonquin Park (AP) - and I imagine it makes for great frustration! At AP, at least you can ve sure 99% of the time that you will get a spot on that lake (even if it means paddling a couple of hours to the other end of the lake)...that said, how do you install thunderboxes on the solid granite of many of the delta sites?

PostPosted: September 4th, 2021, 8:31 am 

goneagainjon wrote:
..that said, how do you install thunderboxes on the solid granite of many of the delta sites?

That was the comment made by the park supt a decade or so ago. We have camped on quite a few out there and we have always managed to find a mossy treed area in which we buried our 'scat' and TP. I would not expect you to know that but I would expect the park supt to know, or at least make an effort to find out. He has had at least a decade to become better informed.

I really object to paying PP fees for an area that is basically crown land.

BTW---if you want more background read my post on the subject in the Maps forum (the title I gave it is prob a bit misleading)

PostPosted: September 8th, 2021, 7:05 pm 

I stopped in at the FR office after doing the 18-mile Island Loop at the end of August. They gave me the attached amendment for site numbers. Hope this helps with some of the confusion.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2021, 8:18 pm 

Canoe Daddy wrote:
I stopped in at the FR office after doing the 18-mile Island Loop at the end of August. They gave me the attached amendment for site numbers. Hope this helps with some of the confusion.

Awesome, thanks!

PostPosted: September 9th, 2021, 9:50 am 

Here is a copy that the FRPP office sent me -

Now I can go through my French River trip reports and do some updating!

PostPosted: September 9th, 2021, 11:46 am 

true_north wrote:
Here is a copy that the FRPP office sent me -

Now I can go through my French River trip reports and do some updating!

Many thanks!

PostPosted: September 16th, 2021, 8:10 pm 

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I just do not see how assigning new numbers to non-existent or unusable campsites helps at all. Might as well have an inaccurate and misleading OLD map as an inaccurate and misleading new one! Park funds would be better spent on thunder boxes for the sites rather than 'cosmetic' changes to the official park map. :(

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2021, 7:03 am 

I don't know why they are doing any of this. The last map released was only a few years old? Government coordination at it's finest.

It seems like a make work project gone out of control.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2022, 8:13 am 
CCR Site Administrator

Can someone please inform me if the unlostify map, as it currently appears on the site: https://www.unlostify.com/ is up to date for the campsite numbering as of 2021? What I really want to know anyway, is if the beach campsite numbered 625 on the unlostify map is actually #625.

Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2022, 8:49 am 

I downloaded the French River file linked to the https://www.unlostify.com/ URL and got the following info -

Unlostify French River Map (First Edition) - Trip Side - Symbols.jpg Mar 1, 2018 at 9:31 AM 475 KB
Unlostify French River Map (First Edition) - Trip Side - Wall Map.jpg Feb 27. 2018 at 6:00 PM 14.2 MB

So - no - the map has not yet been updated with the new CS #s. Your map number will not be the same as the 675 on the CS sign!

Those who do not know about the change may get confused and think they are lost. The Park people should hand out free updated maps to all who buy multi-day backcountry passes for the Park.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2022, 8:23 pm 

true_north wrote:
I The Park people should hand out free updated maps to all who buy multi-day backcountry passes for the Park.

Ha ha---whenn that happens I will look out the window for low flying pigs! The FR is a classic case of incompetent 'management'

I guess the re-numbered the non-existent sites as well :lol: