It is currently March 18th, 2024, 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2021, 2:13 pm 

hi all....and for my first post I have a question. got a few days off coming soon and going into Algonquin for the last back country canoe trip before it snows. staying away from the craziness that is the hwy60 corridor, where would you go? I have 3 days.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2021, 1:12 am 

Kiosk or Brent area. Lots of smaller loop trips available.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2021, 6:27 am 

That craziness is much subdued after the fall colours hit. The campgrounds fill up and then empty out again. You probably wouldn't find mobs of people anywhere.

Kiosk or Brent would be good choices. North Tea Lake and Kearney as well. Opeongo, Rock and Smoke/Canoe lakes should all be pretty quiet.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2021, 7:10 am 

Is there anything that you want in particular... leaf color, large lakes, trout fishing, rivers, remoteness, old growth, scenic lookouts... also logging starts up with greater activity after the Labor Day weekend with most of the interior visits over and the canoe routes through active logging and haul areas having emptied out, so picking an area where that's not happening will help wrt to avoiding places with truck, bulldozer, skidder noise going on all day.

PS... there's also the big game hunt going on in the park later on, depending on when you're going... people driving the logging roads and gunshots.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2021, 8:44 am 

4th to the 6th is the target so trout season is closed. remote quiet lakes is the goal. I was thinking about putting in at magnetawan and traveling 2-4 portages in.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2021, 9:28 am 

Magnetawan access should be fine for remote and quiet, from the AFA map, cutting and hauling should be far enough away so that noise won't carry over that distance, the hunt won't start until the 12th (probably)... AFA map shows logging activity in the orange fall cutting areas and colored haul roads to the north and south some distance away:

https://algonquinforestry.on.ca/wp-cont ... bmap-2.pdf

Ralph Bice has good sugar maple fall color on the hillsides at that time of year.... the rest of landscape should also be dominated by sugar maples... enjoy!

PostPosted: September 25th, 2021, 5:46 pm 

Kingscote lake (access point 15 in the southern portion of the park) to Scorch lake is a nice 3 night trip. I did it this past weekend and the bass fishing on Scorch was excellent.