It is currently December 1st, 2022, 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 5th, 2021, 3:52 pm 

Hello,

I'm planning a late fall trip to Algonquin and I'm not sure if the David creek from Mubwayaka to the Tim river is passable. Has anyone traveled through here?
There is very little info online. I have found reference of passage from Mubwayaka lake to the Rosebary Lake portage but haven't found anything noting travel from the Rosebary portage to the Tim river.

Any feedback or insight is appreciated. Thanks

PostPosted: October 5th, 2021, 5:53 pm 

When you say Rosebary portage to Tim River I am thinking you mean to head either North to Tim Lake or South-east to connect with the Tim River headed east.

If you are headed North there is no portage of note until you reach the 120m portage near Tim Lake. It's just a matter of heading up the western shore of Rosebay and you will find it.

If heading east then you will find the portage into the Tim River near the dam on Longbow Lake.

I travelled the Tim River from Access 2 all the way to Shippagew Lake back in June of this year during extreme low water. If was challenging but completed.

Just realized you might have a third option in mind. Going from point on David Creek where Rosebary portage is until you connect to Tim River. The section of Tim River you are connecting to is very shallow and narrow in that area. I suspect the travel east on David Creek would be even more difficult unless water levels were high. Having said that, would be interesting to find out! :)

PostPosted: October 5th, 2021, 9:03 pm 

Hi jnoble,

Thank you for your insights. Good to know that stretch of the Tim is very shallow and narrow.

I attached a map and circled the exact area I am referring to. I would be very interested if anyone has any insight on that stretch I circled from the Rosebary portage to the Tim river while following David creek.

I don't mind a little bushwhacking, I just don't want to surprise the wife with a brutal slog and a sleep in the swamp!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2021, 10:44 pm 

David creek downstream of the portage landing doesn't look inviting: there's no trail and almost no water. So, it is bushwacking and probably more than a little.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2021, 12:09 pm 

Okay thanks Eddy for that insight. I've decided to put this route on hold for now with that feedback. The nippising river has caught my eye instead for this trip.