It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 29th, 2022, 1:50 pm 

Hi all, I have a good amount of time off in September and I'm hoping to paddle the Lake Superior Provincial Park coastline (whichever direction will work the best with winds) and the Steel River Loop after that.
I'm looking for some thoughts on Superior's conditions in September. From my research up to now, I've seen that the weather begins to get rougher and more wind bound days would be expected. That is not a problem as I have plenty of time to spare. I'd love to hear any feedback on paddling this shoreline during this time of year.
I will also be contacting David Wells from Naturally Superior Adventures to get his thoughts and arrange a shuttle when needed.
After that trip I'd like to tackle the Steel River loop while I'm in the Superior area. My questions would be about the current water levels on the Steel, and whether or not people think I'd have enough water to paddle the river in September, or if it would be walking the canoe more than paddling.
On top of that, if anyone would like to offer any feedback (campsites, must-see spots, safety concerns, etc) I'd certainly love to hear that. Incase anyone is wondering, I'd be solo paddling a 15' prospector.
Thank you!
Pete

PostPosted: July 29th, 2022, 2:21 pm 

Rob Haslam would be one person to contact about the Steel.
Rivers levels depend so much on rain up there and can quickly rise.
But at the same time I have been up in the Superior region at that time (m favourite time up there) they can have drought conditons.
As for the Superior coast, again weather dependant sometime yes and most of the times it is a no go due to the winds from the September storms.
It really is a hit or miss, but be prapared to change plans duing the coast or expect long periods where you are shore bound.
In all the years I have paddled the Agawa since 85, there has been only a handfull of times I have been able to paddle from the mouth of the river to the Agawa bay campground.
That said if it is calm seeing those hills in full colour is absolutely amazing, but that only happened once, again hit and miss.
If the big lake smiles upon you it will be great.
So be very flexable with your plans.

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: July 30th, 2022, 8:02 am 

Hey Pete, water's been high in the north this year but it's too early to say what to expect for Sept. So much could change in the next month+. I've paddled the Steel twice, both mid-summer, and ground out on swifts at times but certainly not enough that I thought it was a bad idea to go in low water. And some rapids will be boney of course and you'll be better to port.

You may be familiar with the hydrometric gauges from Water Office but here's the Steel if not. You can zoom out to see past months/year for reference:
https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/rea ... tn=02BA006
Compared to last year, current levels are similar.

There are some general guidelines for Superior you may have heard like "prepare to be windbound 1/5 days in mid-summer and 1/3 days early and later in the season." This guideline will vary depending on who you talk to but I think it's fair.

I've only lost a full day on Superior three times, but you really should aim to be on the water at sunrise or earlier (bring easy breakfasts), and end your day early too. Paddling a calm Superior at sunrise is the best paddling experience I know, so it's very much worth the early rise.

The Steel is probably still my favourite river, favourite loop, and Superior is my favourite lake, so I think you'll have the trip of a lifetime. Unless there's a historic drought in August, I wouldn't change your plans for the Steel. It's a nice river to wade anyway with gravel and clear golden water.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2022, 6:03 am 

I've done the loop a couple of times at the end of August. Be prepared to do some dragging on the initial portions of the river. I remember one year, running it solo, and there were some longish stretches of pulling the canoe over shallows, but nothing that would stop you. The take outs and put ins on the log jam ports will be more challenging, as some of them are already pretty steep.

However, a September trip will be very beautiful and well worth it!

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2022, 9:29 pm 

Thank you so much Jeff, Jon, and Rob! I really appreciate hearing from you guys who have far more experience on these waters than I have. I have never even set eyes on Superior before and I absolutely can't wait.
Jon, thanks for the link to hydrometric gauges, I'll keep my eye on that. I certainly don't mind taking the time to wade portions of the Steel, as none of my trips are ever about speed. I've seen the videos that you've created on both of the trips that you've taken on the Steel and this loop has been on my list for awhile now thanks to you.
Rob - I've got copies of the maps you've put together for the Steel loop and I want to say thank you for all of the work you've done to create them.
I have around 27 days to complete both of these trips so that should be plenty of time to allow for windbound days on the coast. If there are days to spare I hope to paddle to Denison Falls, or explore the Pukaskwa interior.
Thanks again guys!

PostPosted: August 5th, 2022, 8:27 am 

In case anyone reading this is wondering about the wisdom of doing the LSPP coast in the fall, if you are lucky enough to have calm weather and fall colours your senses will be treated to some amazing eye candy and the sunsets can be absolutely amazing.
First pic about 1.5 k off the mouth of the Agawa in Agawa bay
https://photos.app.goo.gl/x4ABAijwtfxmoPdz9
What it can be like with "normal" fall weather :o
with a sunset, waves about 2m in height.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/okEa8f4UEThV7R957
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: August 5th, 2022, 1:50 pm 

Superior is usually rough enough in Oct so there is Gales of Superior photography workshop at NSA. The year I went we had
four days of dead calm.

I would be very conservative, take lots of other things to occupy your time if you must wait and listen to the Mother Superior.. She has a very hard ruler. If she lets you go go early.. I agree with the others, early out. We ( or I when solo) always planned on making camp by noon.

The tamaracks are actually glorious in late Oct with their gold.