It is currently December 4th, 2021, 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 17th, 2021, 10:52 pm 

Sept. 7 to 16, 2021 my daughter and I once again paddled Wabakimi; this time in the SE corner of Wabakimi Provincial Park. Armstrong resident Clem Quenville shuttled us in. (Gail's was closed, so he made us breakfast!)

YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgzAKUt8Ri0&t=573s

This is a wonderful scenic route. Boiling Sands is a small stream in some parts at low water. The "swifts" were rock gardens with a narrow channel through. Smoothrock can rock in the wind, though there were islands/points to shelter behind. Lookout River had much more water and impressive falls/drops. Spring Lake had outstanding fishing for pickerel. There were some fresh log cuts on a few of the Lookout River portages. The long portage had about 20 stepovers-but otherwise a very pleasant walk with camps at both ends.

We passed three other groups headed in the opposite direction. Two at least were outfitted by Wabakimi Wildwaters (Bruce Hyer). No activity of any kind at the outposts near Schultz's Trail.

If you're looking for an introduction to Wabakimi that can be done in a shorter time, this is a nice route. (We took it easy with three layover days.)

For outfitter & shuttle info/contacts see the Friends of Wabakimi Resources Page at https://www.wabakimi.org/canoeing-pla...

For our U.S. friends, we were able to get our PCR Covid tests and cross the border at Pigeon River. CVS got our results to us in 2 days. Taking no chances, since it was Labor Day weekend, we also got tested with immediate results at Minneapolis Airport/Wandertest. Expensive though. And we're fully vaccinated of course.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2021, 7:37 pm 

Thanks Dave, wets the appetite for our trip next year. Will have to wait till Dec to find out the schedule of the train.

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

PostPosted: October 18th, 2021, 11:35 pm 

I cannot recommend a better outfitter than Mr. Hyer. I had the pleasure of doing business with him and her last year.

By god, the stories he told... he's a pilot, and so am I. He's a better pilot than I. But by God, the stories...

PostPosted: October 19th, 2021, 11:22 am 

Here's the corrected link for Friends of Wabakimi page for Resources:
https://www.wabakimi.org/canoeing-plann ... urces.html

Any suggestions or updates, please share with us at info@wabakimi.org

PostPosted: October 19th, 2021, 12:00 pm 

Oregon Dave, what a nice combination of two lesser-paddled Wabakimi rivers! Definitely gives me some ideas for next summer's trip. The wild card these days is how long the wait is going to be at the CN tracks - I guess the two hours you waited is pretty good! Like Bill P. we’re hoping to train up to Wabakimi from southern Ontario. This summer we did the 1800 km drive.

Re: Bruce Hyer. Here is a link to a Youtube video slide show where Bruce talks up Wabakimi and his canoe tripping outfitting service. After almost a half-century in Wabakimi, he certainly has quite the supply of stories to tell and useful advice to give.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GLCNNORJRA

Re: The Friends of Wabakimi Its website is a great place to go for more info on Wabakimi. It was Phil Cotton who provided us with the necessary info to plan our first trip - one down the Allanwater- back in 2010.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2021, 1:48 pm 

Peter we plan to fly into Dagger next year and exit out at Shultz landing or get picked up at tammarack depending on when the train is scheduled to go armstrong next year. I actually parked beside your wagon this summer for 11 nights . But missed seeing you. Let's hope for a tame fire season next year.

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20