It is currently October 20th, 2020, 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2013, 8:23 am 

We had a great time exploring this seldom paddled park. All of my info including costs is included here. http://www.myccr.com/canoeroutes/opasquia-pp-ontario

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2013, 11:48 am 

Thanks for posting this report, Martin.

I don't think I'm alone when I say that I've often been intrigued when looking at Opasquia on the map, and on Google Earth. There is little information available on canoeing Opasquia, and your detailed report is a valuable resource. I look forward to any future reports if you're looking to further explore Opasquia.

Cheers!

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2013, 12:51 pm 

Although Marten has done the "boots on the ground" work thus far, we have been doing some collaboration on the Opasquia Provincial Park (OPP) paddling destination. He let me know a couple of days ago of the posting of his trip report and other details on myccr and suggested that I add an overview map that I have been working on. This is more like a view from 10K feet, but does provide a visualization of the park area and some of the lake names referenced in the report. I'm developing a much more detailed map for actual trip purposes (which for me is slated for late June-early July, 2014).

In addition, to the lake names, I've also marked Marten's route. It shows as a red dashed line which starts at Central (Big Hook) Lake and runs generally clockwise back to Central Lake. (There are also some other routes, in red dotted lines, that have been used in the not too distant past.)

Opasquia Overview Map

dd

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2013, 8:15 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

dentondoc wrote:
Although Marten has done the "boots on the ground" work thus far, we have been doing some collaboration on the Opasquia Provincial Park (OPP) paddling destination. He let me know a couple of days ago of the posting of his trip report and other details on myccr and suggested that I add an overview map that I have been working on. This is more like a view from 10K feet, but does provide a visualization of the park area and some of the lake names referenced in the report. I'm developing a much more detailed map for actual trip purposes (which for me is slated for late June-early July, 2014).

In addition, to the lake names, I've also marked Marten's route. It shows as a red dashed line which starts at Central (Big Hook) Lake and runs generally clockwise back to Central Lake. (There are also some other routes, in red dotted lines, that have been used in the not too distant past.)

Opasquia Overview Map

dd

Marten & dentondoc...would you like this map added to the trip report? It is a simple matter to add it.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2013, 8:28 pm 

Yes, please add it to the report

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2013, 9:04 pm 

Marten wrote:
Yes, please add it to the report

ditto

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2013, 11:55 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

Map has been added.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2013, 1:02 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Great trip report! Thank you for sharing. Thank you for all the detailed information. A great resource for anyone considering a trip to Opasquia.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2013, 10:32 pm 

Great TR Marten! That is some excellent information for others planning a trip.

Thanks also for all the brush and blowdown cutting and clearing you did. That "leave a trace" activity will improve the route for others to travel and enjoy. :wink:

I am subbed to your YT channel, but for some reason missed the video posting notice. I look forward to watching it.

Opasquia is one area that I have never done map research on. I think I will look it up!

PostPosted: November 5th, 2013, 7:41 am 

When you start studying the maps for Opasquia what jumps out is all of the exceptionally long waterways. Not wide windswept lakes but long narrow ones great for non-stop canoe travel. Our portages were averaging about 220 meters and were 13 km apart.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2016, 3:19 pm 

Hi Marten! Marjorie and I are going to paddle Opasquia this summer. I saw your reports and others but haven't seen anyone complete the East Lake- Mossberry- Joint lake connection. We are going to try this this summer and wondered if you have any other info ie portage from unnamed lake to Mossberry or location of Mossberry- Joint lake portage.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2016, 8:26 am 

Jim,
Mike K. Did go Mossberry to Joint in 2014. He commented. It was hard to spot the trail leaving the pond in the middle section of the trail he used. I hope you are able to post some more info on what you find. Feel free to at least add it to my trip report. I was hoping to get notes from others to make it a better source. Mike K. did bushwhack into Southwest Lake to paddle those waters. I have never seen anything on the portages sw of Cocos that lead to Island Lake in Manitoba. Is Big Hook Camps still willing to work with canoeist?

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2016, 12:02 pm 

We just came back from Opasquia and can confirm the East Lake- Mossberry- Joint portages. We found them, did some clearing and flagged the obscure bits for future trips. The Mossberry- Joint portage is in two parts one to the pond, and one to Joint; it is very wet and muskeg around the pond so be prepared for that. We also confirmed the 700m portage into east lake on a route north of the existing east west route. We have gps and trip notes which I will post.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2016, 12:31 pm 

That is great Jim. Your info will allow for some great loop trips up there.