It is currently October 20th, 2020, 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 18th, 2016, 7:24 pm 

Interesting trip that I won't do again. Not hard at all and suitable for kayaks and canoes. We had a Mad River Monarch ( aka Sea Slog) sea canoe and a Wilderness Systems Shenai kayak. The kayak being of Greenland style carried the tent, sleeping bags, clothes and sleeping pads and Helinox furniture and not a whit that was of bulk

The Monarch is far from a slouch on water. Its a fast boat. But I was charged with food tarps poles camp equipment and such that was heavy. I was the barge( I won't let him forget that. We never could swap boats cause I am of thunder thighs and he is chicken legs. The Shenai is old (1993) and tight.

Our difficulties started at the George Lake Campground Office at Killarney Park. There we learned that they did not sell Crown Land Camping Permits. They suggested Sudbury (90 minutes one way. Massey-with the bridge out in Nairn that could be four hours one way, or Parry Sound.. some two hours each way). And Service Ontario is not open on Sunday.
So we trundle over to an outfitter who is also publicly flummoxed as he can't and doesn't sell them. I am thinking that some Non Residents of Canada has to rent from him...we are taken aside and the conversation moves onto " no one has ever been checked"

So back we go to George Lake to pay for the parking permit for Chikanishing. Yikes.. $13 CDN per day.. We go to the lot.. and its full..
Ye who say its not a jam up..well you must be used to the 401. This is a jam to me.

There are kayaks not in the picture too.

We get out of that mess as fast as possible and out to the open water. Its a strong South wind gusting to 40 kph which puts the Outer Foxes out of sight. Plus with all the rocks I am having a hard time keeping track of where we are. The GPS has dying batteries and the screen not visible in bright light.

We finally after three hours of getting rocked in shoaly water with breaking waves land at West Desjardins Bay. We have clearly overshot everything and misread the useless Chrismar Map.

BTW Jeffs Map has the campsites marked and the Chrismar does not. Save your bucks.

Home sweet rocky home

yah you are not alone

We also had sandhill cranes and otters visit.

Next day a short paddle to Moose Cove

Last day was around to Beaverstone Bay and a much needed shady campsite on Mill Lake. Collins Inlet is sheltered but peppered with cottages and powerboats.

Getting out was worse than getting in. The staff was trying to remove drums and there were three powerboaters waiting and some 9 kayakers.

Pretty area but nope not again. The weather was abysmally hot and that may have led to the overuse. I probably went swimming 25 times over four days. 30 C is not in my repertoire.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2016, 9:09 pm 

Sounds pretty awful. I can certainly understand not wanting to go again. Nice pics if you ignore the crowds.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2016, 10:29 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Ralph wrote:
Sounds pretty awful. I can certainly understand not wanting to go again. Nice pics if you ignore the crowds.

Timing is everything....

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 08&t=45129

Barbara

PostPosted: August 19th, 2016, 11:22 am 

So I should have predicted that Ontario would be beastly hot and stayed away.. Anyone who can do that is better than I can be.

Taking weather out of the equation from what I gather from locals is this explosion of visitation is not going to go away next year unless the island is ceded to FN.

so no I don't agree with the above post.

The fleet of rental kayaks at Killarney Outfitters was impressive. Quite the potential for some income as they are not limited to permitees in the Provincial Park. Unlimited opportunity on Philip Edward Island.. KO is but a few km from the launch.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2016, 1:42 pm 

That end of Georgian Bay is a popular paddling spot. (Well, actually, most of shore between the town of Killarney and the city of Parry Sound is popular.) But PE Island area is possibly the most popular.

We go in mid- to late June. School's not out yet, so what paddlers are out are mostly on weekends. Same for cottagers and motor boats. It's generally not as hot (but then, the water is still pretty cold for much swimming.) A few islands have thunderboxes, but those that don't get a little rank by the end of the summer, since there's little soil to use for cat holes. And, well, some campers aren't the most considerate of others...

I realize that people have lives that may preclude their heading off whenever they feel the urge. The summer may have been your one chance to go. I can only assure you that you would have likely enjoyed your visit a lot more if you'd been able to come during the shoulder seasons when the crowds have disappeared.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2016, 4:56 pm 

Was at Philip Edward from last Wednesday till this past Monday. Certainly was busy wednesday, but by Saturday, due to poor weather perhaps, lots of sites were available in and around the Fox Islands.

This was my 5th trip....we will be back.

Ps we take a thunderbox and shovel with us...

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: August 19th, 2016, 5:44 pm 

Our trip was just a tack on to another trip to Lake Superior.. I taught canoeing during much of July and we could not get away.. We always try to wind up our Superior trips by August 15.

LSPP was awesome. Not as many occupied campsites as I would have imagined. Thats fodder for another TR.. some of the campsites there are being taken back by Nature.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2016, 6:57 pm 

DarrylJ wrote:
(Well, actually, most of shore between the town of Killarney and the city of Parry Sound is popular.) But PE Island area is possibly the most popular.

Hmmm---interesting. We went from Bayfiels to Byng in the last week of July and there was no competition for campsites and very few people until we got close to Byng.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: August 21st, 2016, 8:21 pm 

I did a 4 day kayak trip the 3rd week of July and had a great time. Weather wasn't perfect, some rain and wind, but otherwise comfortable. Not sure what you are referring to when you say "camping permits for Crown Land"? I've never heard of such a thing. My partner and I simply registered our vehicle at George Lake, then parked at Chikanasing, and departed. It was fairly busy but no problem finding parking and campsites (although we did depart early on a Thursday).
We had loose plans to circumnavigate but got lazy and decided to island hop, take it easy, and explore the islands on the southwest shore of PEI. We camped at 3 different islands: Martins, Silver, and Le Hayes. A fair smattering of bear poop on Silver but we deemed it be well-aged and no danger of encounter. Still, we were bear-wise at each site because my partner had encountered a bear on Le Hayes some years previous. Lots of swimming, some wine, and a campfire each evening.
I paddle a Delta 15.5, excellent boat, very stable, and a ton of capacity.
Good trip, would love to do it again but not likely this year. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for PEI and environs.

PostPosted: August 21st, 2016, 9:00 pm 

Crown land users need permits if they are not Canadian citizens

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2016, 3:40 pm 

I just returned from a wonderful 5 day canoe trip exploring the foxes with my 3 oldest kids (2 boys age 8, girl aged 11). We were there Monday to Friday starting on the 15th of August and found it not too busy. After reading a few reports on how busy it has been, we intentionally avoided the long weekend and went weekdays only. I'd say the parking lot was only half full when we left, and likewise on our return early Friday morning.

We had also initially planned on circumnavigation, but the kids loved exploring the rocky islands so much that we stayed mostly on the foxes. We spent 2 nights on a lovely cozy campsite on Sly fox, followed by an expansive site on Martin, then zipped back to Rattle for the last night to make for a quick trip out Friday morning.

I brought along my heavy Royalex Missinaibi whitewater boat, and was thankful for it as the waves were often meter high in the exposed stretches. It seemed that any wind over 10km/hr could whip up swells to 1 meter high quickly. Of course the boys thought this was fantastic, while I was white knuckled the entire time.

We had only had one calm morning on Thursday that allowed us to paddle around and explore the sites on all the foxes. I'd say through the week that the foxes were only half full, and the sites in closer were even less busy.

Beautiful area, I'd love to do it again; but there are just so many places to explore I may not have time!

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2016, 4:34 pm 

Im glad no one else had our experience. We did not start on a weekend.. We went Monday through Thursday. It must have been the heat. And the high winds since no one was going to the Foxes..

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2016, 4:49 pm 

Thanks for the clarification re land user permits. I was not aware of that.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2016, 8:09 am 

So it sounds like LRC's trip was the unusual one(the 'outlier'). Useful to know---I hope to go there next year.(yes, started to plan---or at least dream----already)

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.