It is currently October 20th, 2020, 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 24th, 2016, 6:14 pm 

Hello,

I recently published 4 posts on a canoe trip in Temagami.

Access point on Matagamasi Lake to Wolf, Chiniguchi, Evelyn, McCarthy Bay, Kukagami

8 glorious days paddling with a group of friends!

I hope you like it, and thanks for reading :)

http://wp.me/p4KQ1Q-Kv

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

PostPosted: August 24th, 2016, 6:54 pm 

Wonderful report and photos! I'm glad you had a great time in Temagami. We fell in love with the area on a similar route to yours last year and will be spending a lot of time exploring the region further in the next few years.
Did you know there's no "Action Plan" for removing the Action Plan signs? Hope you did, hahaha.
We camped on the same site on Kukagami last year and spent hours cleaning up broken glass. I think it's a site used often as a lunch spot by fisherpeople, and gets used pretty heavily. The thunderbox must be new, too! When we were there the entire backwoods was full of bear poop, not human.
Thanks for sharing.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: August 24th, 2016, 9:29 pm 

Nice report. I don't think that bridge is Steven Harper's doing. It has been there for a long time. It is used by the snowmobile club and the road is dug up not far from there but an ATV can get through. As far as ATV access goes, almost every lake on your route is accessible by ATV if not a truck.

Not sure any amount of lobbying will close the roads in this area. Unfortunately it seems that most people who want the roads open live nearby, and most of the people who want them closed live in Toronto.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2016, 10:01 pm 

Glad to hear you had a great trip, and a very good intro for the rookie in your group! Here's hoping she continues with the canoe tripping. Very nice photography work as well.

Wow, that 800m port into Laura was the driest I've seen it.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 7:05 am 

Thanks everyone!

Tearknee, the site on Kukagami was awesome but SO MUCH broken glass. I had to stop looking at the ground because I became obsessed with picking up all the pieces. Probably had something to do with the fact that Banjo was with us too. There was no garbage there, and the thunderbox was in decent condition. I was shocked knowing that this site is accessible by motorboat. And, thanks for reading! I remember your trip report from last year and it being amazing.

Grey Jay, the bridge might have been there for a long time, but it was funny how it popped up out of nowhere. We could hear ATVs in the distance along our route. I know wilderness should be accessible to everyone. It was kind of a standing joke between Mr. Harper and I. Anyway, thanks for reading!

canoeguitar, it was a GREAT trip! I just couldn't get over the towering pines. What a special place. I was expecting the McConnell/Laura portage to be a lot drier. Knee deep for sure, but feeling out those logs helped a whole lot! Thanks for reading! :)

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 10:10 am 

An inspiring report, Cobi. I paddled that area for the first time two years ago, and incorporated the Sturgeon into it. Lovely area. We're considering a September trip into those waters. BTW, the food looks so good it makes me want to bite the bullet and buy a high-end food deyhdrator. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 10:35 am 

martin2007 wrote:
the food looks so good it makes me want to bite the bullet and buy a high-end food deyhdrator. Thanks for sharing!

DO IT! Best $300 I've ever spent. I can't tell you how many times I've used our Excalibur dehydrator. And, we get to have some really awesome and healthy meals out there.

It will be a beautiful paddle in September! Thanks for the comments, martin2007.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2016, 11:25 am 

Great photos and narrative. Thanks for sharing. I don't recall seeing the Kelly Kettle in any photos. Are you still using it?

PostPosted: August 27th, 2016, 11:46 am 

Nice report & photos. I can't believe you met Levon Helm! I'm an obsessive fan of The Band and Levon Helm. I only got to see him perform once but his voice wasn't in good shape that night.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2016, 8:40 am 

Neil,

Yes! I drove down to Teaneck, NJ in my early twenties after discovering TLW, and Lee's book 'This Wheel's on Fire' to meet him. He changed my life. This was before the Midnight Ramble. After, I went to New Hampshire to see a show with the Barn Burners and then drove down to Woodstock monthly to volunteer at the early stages of the Midnight Ramble.

It was quite the time in my life, being surrounded by so much talent, blues legends, and Levon who was always super nice to offer his loft to me to crash in during all of this. What a time! I ended up moving to the UK for 18 months and still kept in touch. I was devastated (along with so many others) when he passed away. I was at the ramble the first night he sang after his voice came back in the early 2000's.

What a time...

PostPosted: August 29th, 2016, 8:43 am 

mark m wrote:
Great photos and narrative. Thanks for sharing. I don't recall seeing the Kelly Kettle in any photos. Are you still using it?

Thanks for checking my report out, mark m! We didn't end up bringing the Kelly Kettle this time because we only have the Scout, and with the need to boil a lot of water for hot drinks, dishes, etc., we used our friend's MSR Reactor. Also, we were concerned about how bad the drought would be in Temagami and the ability to use it with potential fire bans.

My husband fell in love with the Reactor and is looking to buy one. I does boil super fast, but the kettle is so much fun! I'm curious to see what stove will end up in our pack the next time we go out. I'll always opt for the kettle!

PostPosted: August 29th, 2016, 9:28 am 

A lot to read there but wanted to quickly a add thanks for the Kukigami glass cleanup. We were on that site middle alter July and I suspect without seeing dates was after your trip. Did a bit of glass cleaning too. Would be nice if the fishers would do a better job of cleaning up fish scales off the table, a pet peeve of my wife. She basically recoils at the site of a makeshift table now. She's 5 foot 2 and wonders if the tall men might build them lower :)

We were watching the last rays of light 20 minutes after the sun had gone down when a group of 5 or so canoes came around the corner looking for spot to stay. Not our idea of fun not sure if they were having fun either.

Cheers

PostPosted: August 29th, 2016, 9:50 am 

Waboose Adventures wrote:
I'll always opt for the kettle!

That's good... Where did you get it from?

PostPosted: August 29th, 2016, 10:56 am 

We bought our Kelly Kettle Scout from Canadian Outdoor Equipment Company. We also bought the Hobo Stove attachment.

https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/kelly-kettles.html

PostPosted: August 30th, 2016, 7:24 am 

Waboose Adventures wrote:
Neil,

Yes! I drove down to Teaneck, NJ in my early twenties after discovering TLW, and Lee's book 'This Wheel's on Fire' to meet him. He changed my life. This was before the Midnight Ramble. After, I went to New Hampshire to see a show with the Barn Burners and then drove down to Woodstock monthly to volunteer at the early stages of the Midnight Ramble.

It was quite the time in my life, being surrounded by so much talent, blues legends, and Levon who was always super nice to offer his loft to me to crash in during all of this. What a time! I ended up moving to the UK for 18 months and still kept in touch. I was devastated (along with so many others) when he passed away. I was at the ramble the first night he sang after his voice came back in the early 2000's.

What a time...

Unbelievable! I have no words for how jealous I am!