It is currently October 20th, 2020, 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 24th, 2016, 6:36 pm 

Hi all!
I've been away for awhile on a fabulously amazing canoe trip, combining three of Hap Wilson's routes (#2, #11, and #6) into a spectacular 16 night and 17 day adventure.
Part One is written up and ready for your appreciative eyeballs at:

https://thehappyadventure.com/2016/08/24/temagamicanoetrip-1/

This portion of the writeup covers our journey for the first six days, from Sandy Inlet in Ferguson Bay on Lake Temagami, through Obabika Inlet to the lake and then down its namesake river, up north through Lahay Lake and the Nasmith Creek, over through the Misabi range and many small mountaintop lakes, back down the mountain to the Ames creek and Skooztagan on our way to Florence.
I hope you enjoy!

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

Last edited by tearknee on October 21st, 2016, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2016, 10:40 pm 

Just gave your TR a quick once-over, but have to go to bed. I'll revisit it in more detail tomorrow. It looks like your route gave you a very good dose of Temagami. I've paddled much, but not all of your route, and am interested to read your whole TR when it's done, especially regarding the sections that I haven't yet paddled.

Good work with the accompanying photos.

Cheers!

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 10:31 am 

Tearknee, always entertaining! Last September I did that mountain portage up and down from Naismith double carrying each way on a solo trip. The return trip was easier! Nonetheless, I wasn't carrying x litres of wine on my back. How do you do it? Aperitifs, wine, beer, cocktails, liqueurs, your reports read like "The Sun Also Rises" without any of the gloom and angst. Looking forward to part II...

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 10:45 am 

@martin2007 oh gosh, that portage was just the worst. For this trip we had 3 Platypreserve bottles of wine, 2 Creamy Beige (Bailey's.. A necessity for coffee), 1 Scotch, and 1 bourbon. Andrew carried it all in the designated Liquor Bag, in addition to 2 extra dry bags of food in his Ostrom pack with the tent, his clothes, and other miscellaneous supplies. I carried the rest of the food and cooking equipment in the barrel and my Ostrom was full of sleeping gear, clothes bag, hard case for electronics, etc. Double-carrying up that mountain was just awful. Were there a ton of blow-downs when you went through in the fall? If we weren't scrambling over boulders we were climbing trees.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 11:02 am 

Great report! thanks for sharing.
The blog is also very well done. I especially like your gear review and we seem to like a lot of the same gear. Where did you get the Silky saw? It only shows US distributors on thier website. The one you guys use seems that it would be a bit short though; any thoughts on length?

mark

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 11:37 am 

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5037-617/Pocketboy-130-Folding-Saw

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5042-190/Gomboy-240-Folding-Saw

I have the 130, the 170 and the 240. The 240 is still compact enough to fit in the side pocket of my CCS 60l barrel harness. I don't use my Sven Saw anymore after buying the Silky 240.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 12:00 pm 

A great read with some great writing. Makes me jealous as this is a trip I would like to do one day although I need to right partner/group to go with.

Was it as busy as you expected for this time of the year? Seems like you were running into people rather often.

I also liked how the group of girls were on that long of an excursion. Makes me wonder why my parents never put me in something like this when I was a teen. Oh well.

Can't wait to read the 2nd part. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 1:59 pm 

@mark m Thanks! We have the PocketBoy (130) which is rather small. Works fine for summer, though.. in winter we use a folding bucksaw instead. Pretty sure we bought it at MEC.

@newbman Thanks for reading! Glad you enjoyed it. It was much busier than we expected, actually. Last year we were in a more highly-used area and didn't see anyone for five days straight. On this trip we saw people every single day. I wish I had the opportunity to get into this when I was younger too, but those camps are SO expensive and I'm sure that's why my parents didn't let me know about it. My parents also aren't very outdoorsy and I wasn't really as a kid either.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 2:32 pm 

My memory of that portage is mainly of entering some kind of mind-numbing trance to transcend cardiovascular, shoulder, and leg agony. To justify the torture, I spent two nights on Chapin. I was rewarded with getting to watch a bull moose slowly wander the shoreline across from the campsite. From there I day-tripped as far as Upper Pinetorch/Beaver Lake. I vaguely remember blowdowns at the Naismith Creek end of the portage which began discreetly and then peters out after some false leads. I even put up some orange flagging tape there for good karma. The trail conditions and the campsites gave me the distinct impression that there was very little traffic up there, even in the high season. I'm impressed that kids' canoe camps are persevering, in fact, trailblazing, their way into such rugged places.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 2:43 pm 

@martin2007 We were surprised to see so many people trudging across this area, too. We expected to see no-one and instead couldn't find an open campsite! More maintenance definitely needs to be done... the majority of the portages were completely overgrown with ferns, alders, and labrador tea. Gives us an excuse to go back sooner rather than later! All of those little lakes sure are pretty, even if getting there is a bit tortuous.
We found your flagging tape! Helpful, because that first bit of the portage from the creek is basically one big bush.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 4:54 pm 

Awesome trip report Tierney. How come other people's bog slogs and precipitous portages sound like so much fun?! Looking forward to the rest of the trip!

PostPosted: August 26th, 2016, 9:30 am 

@Odyssey who doesn't love a good bog, full of boot-sucking mud?! Ah, the joys of canoe tripping. Thanks for reading.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: August 26th, 2016, 1:15 pm 

Awesome trip report that will inspire others...looking forward to the next part.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2016, 1:29 pm 

Nice one! You definitely hoist your gear yourself - and enjoy writing about it :). The orange pack looks quite impressive and probably weighs not much less than its carrier. I expect to follow your tracks on Nasmith later this fall, if gods and government won't interfere. Wonder if the Chapman portage could be done in a single carry, even if it means being tight on liquor for the whole trip.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2016, 3:08 pm 

@Paddle Power: Thank you! I've completed the write-up of the second of three parts... just adding photos now and reformatting which is always a frustrating task.

@Eddy Turn: The Taylor Statten girls proved it could be done, but I don't think it will ever be possible for Andrew and I. We always trip with our two Ostrom packs and a barrel as our pantry/kitchen, so one trip is always both of us taking packs and the next is me with the barrel and him with a day-pack and the canoe. It would be nice to get it over with in one go, but I'm not sure if it's more tortuous to make two lighter carries or take one back-breaking load (or, even worse, not have any medicinal whiskey for after!). The Nasmith was beautiful. Last year I found the lower Sturgeon to be a bit monotonous and felt the same about the Obabika this year, but the Nasmith seemed to change around each bend (and there are lots of bends!). I also wasn't exaggerating when I said we dragged over at least 40 obstructions. That doesn't include the very shallow wading and scraping north of Dorothy Lake. I would take this route again, even though I know how difficult it is.
Government interference? Are they opening logging again? I've been finding it tough to get recent information on that.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org