It is currently October 20th, 2020, 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 27th, 2016, 1:15 am 

Great read. I like and relate strongly with the meaning of your line, "We congratulated ourselves for being so clever with our timing." Probably most canoeists enjoy an isolated wilderness trip, there's somehow more consequence to the experience. Profound is a good word to describe it. When I happen on other people out there though, I enjoy those memories too. They usually make for a good story; just like yours. Thanks for the write up. Got a bit of culture shock reading about the people you ran into.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2016, 8:49 am 

GRS Riverrider wrote:
When I happen on other people out there though, I enjoy those memories too. They usually make for a good story; just like yours.

Yes, come to think of it I've rarely regretted meeting people on the portage trail; just the occasional jackass. Youth camps have always been friendly, helpful and able.

The lovely Florence is on my wish list. It's been helpful to see your route Tierney (re the stream travel). No amount of lift-overs and wading will put me off. Alders and bog are another matter. I guess the camps travel through these areas for the same reason we all do, but as we're trying to get away from the crowds are the camps trying to get away from us?

PostPosted: August 27th, 2016, 10:20 am 

@GRS Riverrider and @Odyssey the amount of people we saw on this trip was a bit staggering, but everyone we met was very nice and having a great time, just like us. In the second week we ended up paddling a section of the South Lady Evelyn River with the solo canoeist who paddled past us on Florence. Strange and wonderful to make new friends in the bush!

Odyssey, Florence is totally worth the struggle. Apparently the Ames creek is the easier way to get there! As much as the Nasmith was difficult, it was very pretty and I think I still prefer bogs and beaver dams to portages in the early days of a trip while our packs are extra heavy. I'm thinking now that we should go back on a portage clearing trip. Most trails through the Pinetorch Conservation Reserve are in pretty rough shape. We did find it fun to try to locate the trails by following old axe blazes though!

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: August 27th, 2016, 11:54 am 

Did you ever figure out the issue with your goal zero? I have the AA/AAA battery pack as well and just wondering if I should bring extra batteries just in case. No $ for the venture right now. It'll be my first time out with the system next month for a week or so.

Thanks

mark

PostPosted: August 27th, 2016, 12:28 pm 

@mark m:
Unfortunately, no. We drained and charged the batteries twice at home before leaving. When we went to use them I got about 20% charge before they quit. Tim at Canadian Outdoor Equipment Co in Port Credit recommended switching the Goal Zero batteries for better rechargeables. We've yet to try it but probably worth a shot. We also got one of these: http://www.goalzero.com/mobile/p/308/flip-20-recharger which has been much more useful than the battery pack charger for our InReach and iPhones, and it's nice and small and pretty inexpensive. Gives two full charges. We use the solar panel direct as much as possible and only use the other charging devices when we're really low on battery and the weather isn't cooperating.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: August 27th, 2016, 12:50 pm 

Tearknee - I haven't heard of any new logging plans and my "government" remark was purely local (juror duty that somehow endangers my canoeing plans for the second year in a row).
Since I'm on the market for inReach this September (to replace GPS/SPOT combination) I wonder why do you need a charger for it: surely the claimed 100 hours of battery life should be sufficient for a canoe outing - is it not?
Portage clearing trip - it's a big yes! I usually carry a foldable saw in my pack's outside pocket and it often comes handy, but to do a thorough job one has to be on a relaxed schedule or make allowance for it in advance.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2016, 2:30 pm 

@Eddy Turn: Oh, haha.
About the InReach: I use it frequently to send messages to MapShare, family, and friends. I also track with the device to MapShare which uses quite a lot of battery. I've switched the tracking to 4-hour intervals to save battery, but then it's extremely inaccurate. I also find their maps to be quite crap when viewed through the app. The South Lady Evelyn River didn't even exist, apparently. If you're replacing the GPS unit too I'd recommend downloading a separate Canada Topo maps app on your smartphone, downloading the area maps beforehand, and using that for navigation instead.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: August 28th, 2016, 9:58 am 

For GPS I use Delorme PN60, which came with SPOT. Delorme maps of Canada are what you say they are, but with PN60 it's possible to download regular topo maps and annotate them with portages and other bric-a-brac. In any case, I find paper maps to be sufficient in most cases and after replacing SPOT with inReach I will probably ditch Delorme GPS on my Temagami trips, except when driving to remote access points.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2016, 2:10 pm 

tearknee wrote:
If you're replacing the GPS unit too I'd recommend downloading a separate Canada Topo maps app on your smartphone, downloading the area maps beforehand, and using that for navigation instead.

How accurate did you find Jeff's map for your trip when it comes to locations of campsites/portages? I mainly trip in Algonquin but I have an app on my phone called PDF maps, you can download all of Jeff's Maps into it and overlay your current location with your phones GPS over the map. It is extremely handy in some situations! Great report by the way, can't wait for part 3. ;-)

PostPosted: August 28th, 2016, 2:41 pm 

@token60: Thanks for reading! I found Jeff's map for Temagami a bit inaccurate, which is to be expected in the first edition. It was good for a general outline, but the scale is different and requires a lot of squinting. I think the portage lengths are highly underestimated and relied more on Hap Wilson's Temagami book for portage info. Campsites marked were found in addition to some nicer ones that weren't mapped. I did overlay his map on our Garmin which helped us to find the portage through Shortcut Lake on the SLER.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: August 30th, 2016, 2:31 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Awesomeness!

PostPosted: September 1st, 2016, 9:21 pm 

Once again, what a great read! I wish I had the patience to write up a trip like you do. Your last years trip inspired our this years trip, and while we have something else in mind for next year this route looks like a future possibility to explore and discover more of Temagami. Thanks!

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2016, 3:40 pm 

Thanks skookum! Gosh, it's nice to be "inspiring". How was your trip?!

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2016, 10:04 pm 

Hello tearknee: Amazing report! Beautiful pictures! Nice truck. Did Andrew get a haircut? How long do the smoked sausages stay good in the backcountry? What brand are they? It is amazing about the group of girls doing a 42 day trip. Looking forward to checking out part 2.

Take care,
Cousin Pete

"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

PostPosted: September 6th, 2016, 9:48 am 

Hi Cousin Pete! Where you been, dude?!
And yes, Andrew had his yearly shearing before our trip as his wooly sheep hair was making him too hot.
We usually eat the smoked sausages within the first four days. They're fully cooked so even if they're not refrigerator temp they should be safe to consume. We buy whatever brand is on sale, ha.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org