It is currently October 20th, 2020, 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 15th, 2016, 11:29 am 

Well, just a little bit of the Esnagami.

We had another great trip north of Geraldton in the Nakina area. Once again, Rob Haslam was a big help in our planning. Rab on this forum gave us some good information, and Rob Pennock of Pennock's Tourist Service also proved to be very helpful.

This trip, due to the egress, was the hardest I've taken. We had originally planned coming up the Esnagami farther than we did, but were convinced by some locals in Rob Pennock's gas station to take an earlier option. I'm glad we did.

The trip was about 135 miles, and took us 7 days. We were able to cover a lot of ground in the early sections of the trip.

A write up with photos is here: https://bearskinoutfittersblog.wordpres ... mi-rivers/

If you are like me and only scan these reports looking at the photos, be warned you won't see the Esnagami, our camera died before we made it there.

Quinn

Last edited by Quinn on September 15th, 2016, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2016, 1:20 pm 

Great trip report! Had me pull out my canoe atlas to check your route...love that area.

Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 12:31 pm 

You guys are champs! That's a lot of miles in a short period of time! I have to admit, when we came upstream on the Kap from Percy Lake, all I remember is pulling the canoes through about a mile and half of rapids. It was early June. I don't recall any ports between Percy and Saga, but some of your pictures look very familiar. We went through in 92, the blowdown was around 2001, so if there were ports, they would be gone now.

Any chance you got any GPS coordinates for that Kayden Port?

PostPosted: September 17th, 2016, 8:34 am 

Goose: Thanks, and glad you enjoyed the report. I've learned that if you just stare at the canoe altas for long enough, sometimes a route appears.

Rob: I was a little worried that you would tell me that there were good portages the whole way down the river, and I had just been looking on the wrong side! Coming up the last section of the Kap would be tough.

I didn't gps the portage. I had one along, but only used it to come out of the Esnagami, since my competency with a GPS is limited. The north side of the port is easy to find, and there is a boat or two stashed there. It looks like you can even see the boat using terra server (which is slow, but seems to have much better imagery than google earth, at least for your area and where we live).

The south end would be a lot harder to find, as it is obscured by a bunch of plant life.

Quinn

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2016, 7:58 am 

Thank you for taking the time to post. Having been up to the Nakina area a few times and loving it, new ideas for the area are greatly appreciated.

Paul