It is currently October 20th, 2020, 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 15th, 2016, 6:53 pm 

Here we go! The third and final instalment in a series.
This report covers our journey from Willow Island Lake through Lady Evelyn, Diamond, Wakimika, the Wakimika River, the Wakimika Triangle and Chee-Skon Lakes, the entirety of the Bob Lake Conservation Reserve, and Lake Temagami back to our truck at Sandy Inlet.
Thanks for reading, folks. Sorry for the delay.

https://thehappyadventure.com/2016/09/15/temagamicanoetrip-3/

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

Last edited by tearknee on October 21st, 2016, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 7:59 am 

Amazing story. I enjoyed reading all three parts. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the engagement.

Now that you have done this, I wonder what is next for you. More Temagami or maybe a new area like the Adirondacks!!

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 9:26 am 

Thanks for reading, newbman! We love the Temagami area so much that we will continue to plan one big trip in the region a year. There's still lots of exploring to be done!

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 11:01 am 

Woo hoo! I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the parts to your trip report. Thanks for taking the time to write these with such amazing detail. Your pictures are also fantastic. I can't wait to visit Temagami next year!

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 11:11 am 

Egebung wrote:
Your pictures are also fantastic. !

I like the pix captions as much as the pix----and the pix ARE good :thumbup:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 6:29 pm 

Tearknee, you would never know how much people appreciate your write ups. My wife and I did all of Hap's routes, except number one, years ago and now we relive them with you. Thank you so much. Dani & Beth

Last edited by dani on September 16th, 2016, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 7:33 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

That was awesome T! I have taken one small trip in Temagami and it didn't leave an impression. Shit, trash, motorboats. I want to go back for a real trip! Thanks.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2016, 12:46 am 

Well, I just got back this evening from a two week trip in Temagami. I read your entry in Hap's Tripper's Log Book on the way down the South Channel of the LER, and added my own entry on the next page.

We started at Gamble Lake and did a big loop, with a weekend stop-over on Obabika at Alex Mathias' for the Changing Of The Seasons Gathering. A great trip.

I can completely relate to your rant regarding the 'crap' left behind by ignorant pigs. I won't get started on that here, but as someone who has cleaned up more backcountry trash than I care to remember, I can relate, and I applaud you for spelling it out.

I really loved your final paragraph, and was impressed with your closing with a quote by Archibald Lampman. Perfect. Well done. Bravo.

Your passion and enthusiasm for canoeing, adventure, and The North is clearly evident in your writing. I'm very impressed, and look forward to reading of your adventures in the future. The photos are very well done too!

www.mikemonaghan.ca

Last edited by canoeguitar on September 17th, 2016, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2016, 7:55 am 

Wow great job! I think you should definitely pursue a career as a writer! I wish my girlfriend was more adventurous, this to me seems like the ultimate experience for a couple and I am truly jealous. She always asks me why I haven't proposed yet (its been 10 years) and I tell her that when she does a real canoe trip with me she'll have a better chance. haha.

I have spent a fair amount of time in Temagami but mainly exploring backroads and easily accessible lakes. I've never actually done a canoe trip up there. From what I've seen on campsites on Red Squirrel Lake, Diamond Lake, Lake Temagami etc there is typically allot of trash and 'toilet paper flowers' as you mentioned you seen in some areas. How would you say it compares to Algonquin in that aspect? I'm just wondering if its generally that much worse?

PostPosted: September 17th, 2016, 10:08 am 

Thanks for reading and for the kind comments, everyone!

wotrock: I spend a lot of time coming up with clever captions. I'm glad you like them.

dani: That's very kind, thank you! I'd love to do all of Hap's routes eventually. Which ones should we tackle next?

MartinG: Ah, you definitely need to go back and explore away from the lakes with motorboats. It's my favourite place in the whole world, I hope you have a better experience next time!

canoeguitar: That's neat that you saw my entry in the tripper's journal. I'd like to go back again and read other entries from people. Thanks for the compliment about the photos, that means a lot coming from you. We only use our iPhone 6 and 6s for cameras, but we're considering getting a compact DSLR if we can save up for it. But then we get into waterproofing kits, lenses, cases, and then the poorhouse.
The poop is the actual worst. Worse than any garbage left behind. I don't know if it's due to inexperience or sheer laziness, but there are whole books written on how to poop in the woods. There's no excuse. I wish we could have made it up for the Changing of the Seasons ceremony... maybe next year. Will we see you at the AGM in October? It would be nice to meet you!

token60: Funny you should mention that; I just started a 4-year Journalism degree program! It's probably best not to push your girlfriend into doing something she doesn't want to. Have you thought about maybe doing a trip to a ranger cabin in Algonquin? Perhaps she'd like that more and want to explore further with you. But really, if you love her, then you'll love her even if she doesn't like canoe tripping as much as you :wink:
I think there's garbage everywhere. Algonquin has far more resources devoted to maintenance than Temagami. The Temagami area is still only 16% protected by provincial parks and conservation reserves, even though there are 16 parks and 26 reserves within its boundaries. The Temagami MNR office closed years ago and the majority of the maintenance along canoe routes is done by volunteers. This means that garbage problems build up a bit more than in Algonquin, but the portages and campsites are far more rugged and less-used than in Algonquin. I think a lot of the problem comes from people thinking that if they've tripped in Algonquin, they can plan a route in Temagami. The campsites in Temagami are much fewer and farther between, the portages often unmarked and unmaintained, site amenities are sometimes lacking (i.e. no thunderboxes), and I think sometimes new visitors don't expect this level of "wilderness" and therefore bring lousy gear and too much of it, and in general aren't prepared for the Temagami experience. Most canoe camps in the area are excellent, but some of the kids that come from the city with little or no experience don't treat the land with respect. As we were leaving Sandy Inlet, we met a group of kids from Toronto who seemed excited to be there, but when we got back to the parking lot there were a bunch of styrofoam cups thrown in the dirt. I wanted to remind them to bury their poop but I kept my mouth shut. I probably shouldn't have.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: September 18th, 2016, 8:32 am 

I have only been to Temag once and my experience was similar to Martin's. We were on the big 'front country' lakes. I don't have the stamina any more to tackle anything like you 2 tackled to get to the remote areas. Regardless of whether one feels totally enamored with the place, as you do, or a bit lukewarm about it, as I do, there is obviously no excuse whatsoever to treat the place(and future campers) with such blatant disrespect as some others have done. IMO, no punishment is too severe!!! I'd like to nail their scrotum to a stump and flip them over backwards!! :tsk: :evil: :tsk: :evil: :tsk:

P.S. It's not that I don't have any fond memories of Temag. Here's a pic of a wonderful day we spent on Lady E.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2016, 1:00 pm 

Here---I 'improved' one of your pix:D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2016, 3:01 pm 

wotrock wrote:
Here---I 'improved' one of your pix:D

HAHAHAHHAAHHA! That's much better!

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: September 18th, 2016, 8:16 pm 

What a finale! Ending your Temagami trip report with that eloquent poem of A. Lampman is superb and a sign of true affection for the place and it's spirit. I share the sentiments.
Washing your hair in the cooking pot, sipping sangria and working on an even bog sock tan is really rock'n the good life of canoe tripping. Congrats Tierney, keep on rock'n.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 8:47 am 

tearknee wrote:
token60: Funny you should mention that; I just started a 4-year Journalism degree program! It's probably best not to push your girlfriend into doing something she doesn't want to. Have you thought about maybe doing a trip to a ranger cabin in Algonquin? Perhaps she'd like that more and want to explore further with you. But really, if you love her, then you'll love her even if she doesn't like canoe tripping as much as you :wink:
I think there's garbage everywhere. Algonquin has far more resources devoted to maintenance than Temagami. The Temagami area is still only 16% protected by provincial parks and conservation reserves, even though there are 16 parks and 26 reserves within its boundaries. The Temagami MNR office closed years ago and the majority of the maintenance along canoe routes is done by volunteers. This means that garbage problems build up a bit more than in Algonquin, but the portages and campsites are far more rugged and less-used than in Algonquin. I think a lot of the problem comes from people thinking that if they've tripped in Algonquin, they can plan a route in Temagami. The campsites in Temagami are much fewer and farther between, the portages often unmarked and unmaintained, site amenities are sometimes lacking (i.e. no thunderboxes), and I think sometimes new visitors don't expect this level of "wilderness" and therefore bring lousy gear and too much of it, and in general aren't prepared for the Temagami experience. Most canoe camps in the area are excellent, but some of the kids that come from the city with little or no experience don't treat the land with respect. As we were leaving Sandy Inlet, we met a group of kids from Toronto who seemed excited to be there, but when we got back to the parking lot there were a bunch of styrofoam cups thrown in the dirt. I wanted to remind them to bury their poop but I kept my mouth shut. I probably shouldn't have.

Haha, I just like to bug her. I'm not actually basing our futures on whether or not she will canoe trip. I think a fall trip in the North is definitely in store for me though, too bad I'll have to go solo though. Any chance you have a sister? Lmao!