It is currently October 20th, 2020, 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 3:20 pm 

Great read Tierney.
I expect one day I will find myself beside a backwoods lake reading aloud to my daughter and wife from a book called "Tearknee & The Happy Adventure"

Keep paddling, keep writing.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 4:08 pm 

Thanks Tierney for the rollercoaster ride. Just a huge variance of emotions presented in your trip reports. From the elation of getting out there to the tears and snot combo of getting engaged to the crash on the beach at the end. You have a talent of sharing your passion for the outdoors. Thanks for taking us along. Look forward to your many adventures.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out. John Wooden.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 5:05 pm 

Congrats to both of you! About time he finally got around to it.

Dan

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 7:50 pm 

Gosh, thanks a bunch everyone. I'll keep writing them if you keep reading them! Honestly, sometimes I feel like a huge nerd and a total goof for spending so much time writing these out and choosing photos to illustrate the story, but then I'll post a link on here and I instantly feel better about myself. So thank you all for reading and for making me feel like less of a dork.

Odyssey: I still have interesting tan lines a full month later. I think if I want to get properly golden I will have to plan trips with less bogs to tromp through.

token60: I DO have a sister, actually, but she has zero canoeing experience!

Campletter: That is so nice of you to say! I'd love to write for an outdoor-oriented magazine someday. I may have to curb the foul language if you'll be reading to your daughter... eh, f@&$! it.

Skeeter: it was a wild ride for us, too. I try to be as honest as possible about our travels (with a humourous bent) because I think our reactions to our experiences are important to share. I'm glad you recognize this too. Wilderness travel is so much more to me than just seeing cool wildlife or even pushing our physical limits. I definitely find myself getting more and more invested with my surroundings the longer I'm out.

MistyHollow: You're tellin' me! Hahahaha

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: September 20th, 2016, 7:04 am 

Hmmmm, so he asks you to marry him on a canoe trip........whats he planning for the next long winter trek in "The" tent........or maybe you will be presenting him with a very, very small set of moccasins!!!!!!!

LMAO,
Dan

PostPosted: September 20th, 2016, 7:58 am 

Great trip report, enjoyed all three parts. I feel your pain about all the trash. I always bring out a bunch of someone else's trash whenever I go tripping. I honestly didn't think Temagami would be so bad being so far up north.

I remember I took a trip to my native Siberia and walking on the shores of Lake Baikal and it was just covered with trash. It brought tears to my eyes, wondering how can people be so ignorant. We certainly need more education on the matter.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2016, 4:07 pm 

Great trip report and Congratulations! :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Love the pics, (mostly because it is from the as we see it perspective, which I prefer!)

I was just wondering how many times that one shirt got caught up it twigs and sticks? :)
(I have enough trouble with what I wear )

As for the camera world..... it is evolving at warp speed.
You may want to investigate where you want to go with your photographs.
There are so many plus and minuses for many of the systems, let alone the weight.
But that we can save for a photography thread.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2016, 10:47 am 

jedi jeffi wrote:
I was just wondering how many times that one shirt got caught up it twigs and sticks? :)

Me to, but I was too polite to mention it.

Enjoy your reports tearknee. Thanks.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2016, 2:42 pm 

To answer the Very Important Muumuu Question: Yes, it gets snagged, but it is so nice and breezy in the hot weather, keeps the sun off, and looks REALLY COOL, GUYS.

MistyHollow, you're getting waaaaaaay ahead of us here. The wedding won't even be until 2018, I'm in school again until 2021, and there are no tiny moccasins in our near future!

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: September 30th, 2016, 3:07 pm 

I stayed at the Wakimika site a year ago, and then again two weeks ago (mid-September) on a trip with Lisa. One of the huge cedars has been knocked down in a storm, and it appears from your photos that it's happened some time after your trip through. The site's still good, but the tree trunk interrupts foot traffic on the site. Someone, possibly park staff, have cleaned up branches and debris from the crash. On our trip through the big lakes we encountered only one canoe in 8 days paddling. Thanks for posting such an entertaining report. Good luck with your studies this year.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2016, 7:41 pm 

Hello Mrs. tearknee: A very good report as always. Beautiful pictures! It brought back good memories of previous trips to the Temagami region. I had good night tonight. I alternated between reading your report, and working on my report while listening to the classic Grateful Dead show from 1972 played at the Hundred Year Hall.

Take care,
Cousin Pete

"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

PostPosted: October 5th, 2016, 10:56 pm 

That is some trip. Another nicely written account. I enjoyed all three parts. You did something here in your storytelling that I appreciate. The writing was not focused on or centric to some of the obvious possible themes. It wasn't a story of how good or bad the experience was, it wasn't a tale of a marriage proposal, and it wasn't an environmental or social critique. Themes made appearances but no dwelling happened. It made the center of focus the canoe trip. That made it an adventure documentary, which I enjoyed. Well done.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2016, 7:33 pm 

martin2007: That's a shame about the downed tree. The site was definitely free of that when we were there. I'd like to see it, if you have a photo.

Cousin Pete: Thanks! And that sounds like a great night to me! We had a Sirius XM trial for awhile and now that it's over I'm really missing the Grateful Dead channel. We have a few albums, but a billion still to collect!

GRS Riverrider: Thanks for reading! It felt to me as if so much happened on this trip that the story was the trip itself. I love these longer trips.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org