It is currently October 20th, 2020, 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 18th, 2016, 2:46 am 

We wanted to paddle on Lake Superior from Alona Bay north to Montreal River Harbor. Having never done that stretch before, I checked the shoreline on Google Earth to see if there were any beaches that we could camp on. Google Earth showed four beaches that we could possibly land and camp on. One was very small, then a larger one, and then a larger one yet. There was a forth beach, but it had some a few cottages on it back in the woods.

We launched from Alona Bay and paddled north around Theano Point.

We passed the smallest beach and continued on to the larger beach that looked the most promising on Google Earth.

When we got to the large beach, we paddled the length of it looking for a suitable place to pitch a tent.

We got out of our boats and walked some of the shoreline. The whole beach was nothing but soccer ball sized rocks.

We could not stay here. There was no place to pitch a tent on the entire beach. And walking on it was treacherous. We continued on to the beach that had the cottages on it.

While this beach looked nice. It was Labor Day Weekend and we probably would be looked at as intruders if someone was staying at their cottage for the weekend. So we back tracked to the tiny beach that we passed near Theano Point.

We would spend the night here.

The shoreline was rocky, but we were able to smooth out a spot for the tent. I took out my pot for boiling water and scooped up several loads of finer gravel to help smooth out a spot for the tent. It is a good thing the pot was not teflon coated.

Now with the tent pitched, we were able to go for a swim and enjoy our scenic spot on beautiful Lake Superior.

Oh yes, we did enjoy a picture perfect sunset.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2016, 6:58 pm 

I've paddled a lot of the north shore of Superior. The problem with many cobble beaches is the steep pitch, making landing a kayak in surf a really sketchy endeavour.

How was the water temperature for swimming this year?

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 8:51 am 

Had there been any surf we would not have been able to land anywhere until we reached the fourth beach that had the cottages.

The beach we stayed on was fairly steep.

This stretch is very rugged, lots of granite cliffs and outcrops, very scenic. The water was still on the cool side where we were. Very refreshing to swim in. We paddled a stretch south of Alona Bay back in August and the water was bit cooler then, but still very refreshing. I noticed a lot of people swimming in Batchawana Bay across from the Voyager Lodge this year. The bay tends to warm up more than the rest of the lake.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 5:39 pm 

But that beach is terraced. Granted its difficult to land on in surf. But we have slept on same on Superior..

This was a warm year.

Google Earth has shortcomings. ie telling you the slope of the beach.. I look from the water for thin white lines along the waters edge and never on an unprotected east shore.

Chalfant Bay has two narrow beaches but only one has usable sites.. There is an island in the harbor with a steep cobble beach. We watched two kayakers scoop out a tent nest.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2016, 11:47 am 

Mike (canoeguitar), Lake Superior was around 20 C/ 68F for most of August (warmer in shallow bays/coves). I just did a run from the Michipicoten River to Old Woman Bay and back on September 18 and the surface water temperature everywhere was 18.8 C/66 F.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2016, 8:11 pm 

Awesome pics.

For what it's worth, I find the imagery layer on the provincial LIO mapping (available through various websites, including this one) is a bit clearer than what you get from Google Earth. And the parcel data layer makes it easier to spot isolated cottage lots in areas that are mostly Crown. And of course with the topo layer you can see the general grade of the land, though I'm not sure how well that corresponds to beach steepness.