It is currently January 21st, 2021, 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 11:11 pm 

Lots of stories from last summers trip to Temagami. Most notable was spending the night sleeping under the stars! We went through the less-travelled Northern Solace Lakes, down Solace and across to Benner, Bluesucker and on to Florence Lake. Florence was every bit as perfect as imagined. Read all about it on my blog!

http://www.watermarkwords.org/2017/02/s ... -florence/

PostPosted: February 5th, 2017, 7:41 am 

Thanks for posting this . Can't wait for soft water to return . scouter Joe

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 8:30 am 

Really enjoying the trip. We two dread losing the trail far more than any other kind of trip misadventure. Glad to know you two worked it out and came through with just a little sleep depravity. Thanks for all the highs and lows Heather; and great pics.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 3:12 pm 

Very nice. Some of my favorite parts of Temagami, also some parts I hope to visit the next summer (or two). Funny, your balancing act on Bluesucker portage photo looks very much like #DanceOutside picture. Maggie portages: they are measured 720 and 900 on reliable Ottertooth map. I think it's about right: 700m tough portage takes as much time and effort as an average 1km. I confirmed this "rule" with GPS last year :).

PostPosted: February 11th, 2017, 5:51 pm 

Scooter Joe and Odyssey - thanks for reading! It was a great time and I can't wait for next summer!

Eddy Turn: Yes, I think some of the places we went last summer will be in my top favourite places of all time for a very long time I think! Florence and Mihel/Scarecrow especially. Have you done the Maggie portages? It's true, they are hard and so I might be off in my estimates. However, I did count my paces all the way across (as a coping strategy, haha). Also, I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but I think the portage signs had the distance in kilometres written on them as 1010m and 1090m...? Which is also what the Chrismar maps have. But I don't have a GPS so I could totally be wrong!

PostPosted: February 12th, 2017, 12:06 pm 

Yes, I've been to Maggie portages, though with lighter loads (we were double portaging). There was no distances signed there (never saw such signs in Temagami - something new?).
In respect to lengths estimates, I measure time, not steps - I find it's less distracting, especially when balancing over the marsh. As an e.g. of what I mean: last year I gpsed a lightly traveled technical Pinetorch trail (no hills, plenty of rocks) - I did it three times at 20 minutes average, which in my Temagami book usually means 1000m, but GPS showed consistently 735-740. On the other hand 1000m portage between Kukagami and Donald - easy trailroad, - which I done many times, always feels as 750-800.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2017, 10:55 pm 

Eddy Turn: That's very true! They were hard portages so maybe I was just way off lol! The portages through the North part of Solace Lakes PP had yellow signs with distances written on them, I think because they had been reopened more recently. I can't remember now whether those distance notes extended down to Maggie but I thought they did? Anyways. no matter. long portages. lol :)