It is currently January 21st, 2021, 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 5:27 pm 

Hello CCR community!

I've published another trip log on TOURduPARK today.

This is a short, 3-day, un-planned canoe trip on Lake Opeongo. My fiancee & I had just spent a week camping with family at Lake St. Peter and desperately needed some back-country action before going home to the city. This trip took place a couple years ago, immediately following the Canada Day weekend.

I hope you enjoy the read - I found some new, unmapped ruins on this trip!

TR 60: Opeongo - Hailstorm Creek

Some preview images:

Attachment:
1_791x600.jpg

Attachment:
2_789x600.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 8:53 pm 

Really enjoyed your report. I never seem to get around to doing base-camp trips where you set up for several days of comfortable, cosy bliss. Maybe this year. Sooner or later I'm going to use my 70-pound-plus canvas tent, hip-high inflatable double bed, propane kitchen with tables and monster fuel tank, library of novels and field guides, fishing gear, cooler with fresh food and drink, bug shelter, monster tarp and at least two boats to paddle depending on conditions and mood. Four boats if there are two of us. And yes, pillows. The softest and fattest pillows available in Canada. Granted, these won't be as soft and fat as those sold south of the border (they've got all the best gear!) but hey, I always do my best to buy my Made-in-China stuff from reputable local Canadian sources. Chaise lounge. Hammocks: two of them. One soft, one hard.
Peek, your mixture of photos and narrative details made for a very pleasurable read. I loved the look of the pillows (plural!), and the way that you guys divided the tasks. While you were a'choppin' and a'tarpin' your partner set up and took down the comfy interior. Love it! Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2017, 7:46 am 

Hey Martin - thanks for the kind words - I'm glad you enjoyed the read.
It's nice to take front country gear, on a backcountry trip - but only if you're not traversing any portages. In our case, this was a last-minute plan on the way home, so we had to make do with what we had in the car. It worked well!
Lol at your 'two canoes, if four people.'
The wildlife encounters were unreal given this was an access lake / motorboat lake. I've been told the Sandhill Crane sighting is a very rare event in southern Ontario - so that was cool. So was momma and baby moose.
Thanks again Martin, I really am happy you enjoyed the report!

PostPosted: March 18th, 2017, 9:28 am 

That was a cool trip. Hailstorm has been on my bucket list for too long. I'm more into base camping-exploring nowadays, so this route looks great. Thanks Peek.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 10:40 am 

I just want to go there because of the name Hailstorm! Lol.

Instagram: http://instagram.com/man_camping

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 1:00 pm 

Odyssey I'm glad you liked it. If base camping is your thing, I would recommend the north arm of opeongo for Hailstorm Creek alone. Plus on the way back you can explore Graham Creek/bay too.

Looped lol yah man its a pretty badass name for a creek.. I looked it up in the Names of Algonquin book and it's speculated that it was coined by land surveyor James Dickson - possibly because his survey party was caught in a hailstorm while on the lake. Dickson referred to the creek as Black Creek - due to it's pitch black waters.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 4:06 pm 

...So much for a bottle ban. :-?

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 5:53 pm 

Really? This is what you took away from the report? Offence over a plastic bottle? Please. Cabin fever or what?