It is currently September 30th, 2020, 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 13th, 2017, 11:43 pm 

Hiya, folks!

It feels like I haven't been on this forum in forever. I've been too busy paddling, writing, working and book-learnin'.

We did another big Temagami trip this year, and rather than write one of my typical reports I've chosen to share the entire trip through daily Instagram posts.

For those of you that don't use Instagram or missed it, I've embedded the Instagram posts into my blog so you can conveniently scroll and read the story in chronological order.

The link I've posted here will take you to the title page for the report where you'll be able to click on the link for the story.

Cheers,
Tierney

https://thehappyadventure.com/2017/09/14/temagami-2017-an-instagram-trip-log-explained/

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

Last edited by tearknee on September 14th, 2017, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2017, 7:38 am 

Thanks for the posts tearknee. I won't go through the blog now cause I've been following on instagram. I kind of like the format actually... your reporting on each day on a separate actual day gives the whole thing a sense of real-time playback, as well as breaking out a detailed long-form report into easily digestible vignettes. Great photos and stories.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2017, 10:39 am 

I can't tell by your posts when you were out, but based on the weather it looks like we were out at about the same time. My kids and I put in on the on the 8th and took out on the 18th of August. Lots of rain, big hail storm-with hail still on the ground many hours later. We had a good trip, but man did it rain a lot!

rab

PostPosted: September 14th, 2017, 12:09 pm 

Thanks for the feedback, Dan M!
I liked sharing the report this way, too. It also meant that I didn't fight with wordpress for a week to format a long-form report or max out my image storage, ha.

Rab: We were out from July 31 - August 17. We experienced that hailstorm, too... there's a video of it on the Day 15 post. Gnarly weather! We kept thinking it couldn't storm EVERY day, but we were mostly wrong. I would use the weather forecast feature on my InReach to try to get updates but it was so inaccurate that it wasn't worth the message fee. If it said there was a 10% chance of rain, that meant there was a 100% chance of a thunderstorm that would last hours.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: September 14th, 2017, 1:44 pm 

tearknee wrote:
. Gnarly weather! We kept thinking it couldn't storm EVERY day, but we were mostly wrong.

I will need to check next year on when you are planning your trip, just so I can avoid going then!! :D You seem to have the worst luck with the weather!! Looks like the hail had to pinch hit for the snow this time. :D I will look forward to reading more about your adventure later.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2017, 2:26 pm 

Glad to see you posting on Myccr again. Always a good read! Cheers, Milan-H&H

PostPosted: September 14th, 2017, 4:00 pm 

Nice reading, as always! Any recollections of the last portage before the Yorston river (which shore did you take - N or S? What did you mean by "sign and blazed portages"? Most of portages between Chapin lake and the river were unmarked by anything but a bit of faded tape.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2017, 7:43 pm 

Wotrok: HA! Generally two weeks after we're out is the best time to go.

Floats n Boats: Thanks! I missed this place.

Eddy Turn: Last portage - took the south shore. We actually managed to wiggle our canoe down the creek for the most part until the turns got too tight and we had to jump ship (and I fell in a huge puddle and sunk to my waist). By signed and blazed I mean exactly that: We had Friends of Temagami portage signs with us and posted them at every portage. We also blazed trees at the start and end of the portages. We both prefer finding our way with faint blazes and bits of tape, but with the road construction imminent and the fact that the road proposal crosses so many portages and water trails we thought big yellow signs would be harder for Vermillion Forest Management to ignore and if that same whack-nut is still out ripping down portage signs there's nothing he can do about a freshly-blazed tree. We'd rather protect the portages and the campsites than have the whole area clear-cut. Yellow plastic signs were the lesser of two evils.

EDIT: Image won't post. Check this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4k2ngzPUFAVMWt5dkx4R0YwaU0/view?usp=sharing

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: September 15th, 2017, 10:51 am 

Now we are finally learning the gory details! :) Seriously - of course Instagram gives opportunity for live updates, but considering how much effort InReach typing requires, omissions are unavoidable. And my guess is your fingers hurt more than your legs after Gamble portage. As for Vermillion plans, it's really sad news! How could they get a permit to build a road through Solace park?? I wonder why I haven't seen anything about it on FOT site or anywhere else for that matter.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2017, 4:45 pm 

Eddy Turn: We received word from VFM in June that they wanted to begin construction of the Turner Lake road in July, in contravention of the Temagami Land Use Plan. They only contacted FOT after the MNRF told them they had to. We said oh hellz nah! This road is Plan D for them... the original proposal was to build a bridge over the Sturgeon which was struck down three times. Unfortunately the road is already approved, however there are numerous issues with the proposal as it stands right now. Several water crossings occur at campsites and across portages, notably the portages west of the Pinetorch Conservation Reserve from Akick Lake all the way to the Pilgrim Creek. They also proposed a bridge at Talking Falls, then backtracked and said it would be 300m upstream of the falls as if that makes a huge difference... there's a portage there, too. They don't own any cut blocks in the area currently except for one contingency plan, so our thinking was that they wanted to build the road ahead of the 2020-2030 Forest Management Plan which will begin this fall. In truth, our opposition to the Sturgeon River bridge was largely a method of keeping them out of the Solace Wildlands. When we voiced opposition to the road, we were asked, "So how about that bridge again then?" :roll: We always thought the road would never get built due to the high cost. This definitely seems like a last-ditch effort to get in and log the Wildlands ahead of new FSC intact forest regulations.
I have written several press releases and responses to the MNRF and to VFM but for some reason no one has posted them on the FOT site yet. We also have not heard back from either the MNRF or VFM about it.

If you're interested, I can send you the proposal in a PM.

I actually didn't start sharing the story on Instagram until after we got back. I don't have a way of posting photos to Instagram from my InReach, but I could post updates to Facebook. We went over our messages by day seven! Next year I'll upgrade to unlimited for that month. I connect the InReach to my iPhone which makes typing a whole heck of a lot easier, and I use my iPhone as a camera and a GPS so it works out great!

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: September 15th, 2017, 7:59 pm 

tearknee wrote:
We said oh hellz nah!
- You make me cry. It's a shame FOT doesn't share the story - even with its members! How you expect to fight this battle - in the dark and silence? I don't know how I can help being 700 miles and a state border away, but at the very least I can donate to the cause.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2017, 8:23 pm 

Great trip Tierney. An all-round Temagami classic. Good on your guys for signing portages along the way. I've not paddled every part of your route, though I've done most of it. Your TR and photos brought back some memories. Cheers!

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: September 15th, 2017, 8:46 pm 

I've read bits and pieces of your report----gotta savor the flavor. Love your writing style. That little vignette about getting the boot fixed was quite heart warming. Doesn't it really lift you spirits to know that there are such wonderful kind folks out there.(Sorta cancels out hundreds of $#@'s you encounter on the 401/401 etc! :D

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 9:13 am 

Eddy Turn wrote:
tearknee wrote:
We said oh hellz nah!
- You make me cry. It's a shame FOT doesn't share the story - even with its members! How you expect to fight this battle - in the dark and silence? I don't know how I can help being 700 miles and a state border away, but at the very least I can donate to the cause.

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. The general thinking was that we needed to keep our cards close to our chest and oppose the lifting of the timing restriction request first. I will be strongly suggesting we do more at the Annual General Meeting in October. I even have a petition ready to go. I've heard nothing on the subject since July which is extremely frustrating.

canoeguitar: Thanks! It was nice to see you at COTS. Are you coming to the AGM again this year?

wotrock: The funniest part about the whole boot-fixing story (for me, at least) was that the day before it happened I sent an InReach message to my friend jokingly asking if she knew of any good cobblers in the area and her response was, "Not on that lake, sorry." The boots are still holding up!

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 12:03 pm 

I don't know much about instagram but did you need cellular coverage out there to post each day?