It is currently May 27th, 2020, 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 10th, 2019, 10:38 am 

Just finished the edit on my Upper Magnetawan River whitewater trip. Check out what happens when I team up with Alex Traynor from Northern Scavenger and Jim Baird of Jim Baird - Adventurer, for an epic canoe trip. Watch as the three of us, plus Buck (of course!), join forces to paddle some gnarly high flows on the Upper Mag. Such a rush!

The Magnetawan River flows 175km from Algonquin Provincial Park to Georgian Bay, but it's the wild and scenic upper and lower sections that attract canoeists. Our adventure begins at Poverty Bay Chutes. Paddling downstream to Wahwashkesh Lake, our journey will take us through numerous rapids, swollen and churning with unseasonably high water levels. Over the course of our 28km trip, the river tumbles nearly 55m over chutes and run-able rapids, of up to class IV difficulty.

Needless to say, we couldn't wait to get on the water and experience the thrill of the river for ourselves....

Additional details added to the route data page in the comments: https://www.myccr.com/canoeroutes/magnetawan-river-maple-island-hwy-169-takeout

Hard link if video player does not embed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsYCB1jd400

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: December 10th, 2019, 12:30 pm 

Watched the video last night Brad, What a great trip. I am dying to try some whitewater myself having no experience thus far that can be considered anything near that. Jim is a true champ to go it without the bug jacket. Nice to see the dunk action too, the only break you guys got from the bugs apparently :D

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: December 11th, 2019, 3:41 pm 

Thanks. Great video. Got a real kick out of how that dog rides up on the spray skirt!