It is currently August 14th, 2020, 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 12th, 2020, 3:27 pm 

This was our 2019 ice-out trip; a wet, windy and wavy paddle along Killarney's western coast. Amazing place to paddle, just wish we had a little more sun!

Making excellent strides in my recovery from knee surgery weeks prior, I was itching to get out on the water for the May long weekend. There was just one catch, the route had to be a portage free (or minimal) trip to avoid further injury.

In searching for a suitable destination, the Western Killarney Coast immediately jumped out. On the topo, the La Cloche Mountain ‘fingers’ looked like an inviting place to dip our blades. I was especially drawn to the fjord of Baie, touted for its magnificent scenery and regarded as a world-renowned yachting hotspot. The only problem was how could we could access the area without portaging through Killarney’s interior, doubling back, or arranging a lengthy vehicle shuttle from Highway 6.

Enter Killarney Outfitters!
Did you know, Killarney Outfitters offers a water taxi canoe and kayak shuttle?! Their 26ft shuttle boat can accommodate 6 canoes or 10 kayaks and allows you to access the more remote areas of the Killarney Provincial Park region - north eastern shores of McGregor Bay, Baie Fine, Philip Edward Island, bustards, etc. - with relative ease!

The average shuttle time is roughly 1 to 1.5 hours, but the journey itself is quite the enjoyable experience. Our ride up to The Pool at the eastern reaches of Baie Fine was magnificent! Captain Ted East, owner of Killarney Outfitters, pointed out possible campsites and brought our attention to all the noteworthy sights - there were many! Ted offers a wealth of knowledge and can fill you in on every little detail of the park and surrounding area.

After disembarking at The Pool, Ted wished us farewells and sped off, leaving us along in the quiet stillness of Baie Fine. With darkening skies threatening rain, we hurriedly paddled off in search of a suitable campsite...

Check out the the trip video for the entire story.
Hard Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iUPWlEbLWI

Attachment:
P1440344.jpg

Attachment:
GOPR0043.jpg

Attachment:
P1440457.jpg

Attachment:
P1440553.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com