It is currently September 21st, 2020, 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 17th, 2020, 6:16 pm 

This was our first ever canoe trip, and my first time ever in a canoe. Got the idea for the route from reading on here and looking around Jeff's Map. Jon from BAO confirmed that it'd be a good idea and we set out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt3pzq5HC4E

Day 1: Got our canoes shuttled over from Sportsmans Lodge to the launch on Matagamasi Lake. Paddled north on the western arm of Matagamasi just to the last campsite before the first portage. There was some serious headwind making life hard, especially as I had never paddled before. That being said, I assumed it was normal and didn't know these were tough conditions until my fellow, more experienced paddler told me hahaha.

Day 2: Did both portages to get into Silvester Lake and then into Wolf Lake. First time ever portaging, was tough but damn tiring, especially the 2nd portage properly called Toenail Portage. It was actually at the end of Toenail, after we all paddled out, that I realized the other canoe with my brother and cousin weren't behind us for a while. Ended up paddling back to find them just paddling out from the portage, after roughly 30 mins of us having left. Turns out as they were pushing out, they kept being swept back by the current going towards the little falls. They ended up finally losing steam, and luckily got helped out by a ladies paddling crew who were just finishing the portage themselves. I'm forever grateful to them, as things could have likely turned out pretty badly. All that ended up being lost was by brother's water bottle. Ended up getting a campsite on one of the "cliffs" on the west side of Wolf Lake. Spent the day hanging out and exploring.

Day 3: There was a potential storm coming so we paddled back, did the portages and quickly checked out Paradise Lagoon. Beauty little spot. Matagamasi was flat and so we were able to move down the lake really fast. One of our canoes caught a bass while trolling down, cleaned and gutted it, and then it slipped out our hands while washing it. Camped on the site right where the East and West arm of Matagamasi meet, at the tip. Fantastic site, we felt like it was a 2 storey resort like site.

Day 4: With that site as a basecamp, paddled up a bit of the eastern arm of Matagamasi, in search of pictographs and hopefully some fish. Ended up finding both, extremely fortunate and glad to have. First time eating fresh bass, I don't know why some knock it, it was delicious.

Day 5: Paddled back to Mowat, canoes picked up, and headed home.

A fantastic trip and area, will surely be back. Couldn't have asked for a better first canoe trip for all of us.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2020, 10:02 am 

looks like a fun trip. We did a similar route a few years back