It is currently August 14th, 2020, 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 12th, 2020, 12:57 pm 

Last year I did a solo trip through the Kawartha Highlands and down the Mississagua River. Great weather and the beautiful river were the highlights.

Here is a youtube video showing the sights!
https://www.youtube.com/embed/E2EeDJNjAik

Day 1 had me entering the park at Long Lake Lodge (https://www.longlakelodge.ca/) and travelling through Long and Loucks Lakes and camping on Cox Lake. There were a few beaverdams to pullover on the way. Here I was treated to a beautiful sunset from my west facing site.

Day 2 was a tour of the interior lakes visiting Triangle, Cherry, Turtle, Stop log and Compass before spending the night camping on Cold Lake. I ended up walking more than paddling but the more remote feeling interior lakes were definitely worth a visit. The bugs had a good feast of my blood on the last 1310M portage into Cold Lake. I should have stashed my pack and picked it up after the loop instead of double carrying the whole way around.
Day 3 was back into cottage country crossing Gold and Mississagua Lakes and starting downriver passing scenic cascades. The Mississagua river is a real gem with beautiful granite cascades and high rock banks.
Day 4 was a blast as most of the bottom half of the river has runnable rapids. Although most would be rated very easy it was great practice for me running a loaded 16 foot canoe solo. Unfortunately I don't own a gopro and wasn't willing to risk my dSLR so there is no footage of this section.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2020, 11:31 am 

Very nice trip Matt, looks like there was nobody around but you once off the cottage lakes.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: June 17th, 2020, 9:41 am 

Sounds like a great trip, and excellent job with the beautiful photos!

PostPosted: June 21st, 2020, 11:22 am 

Beautiful shots. Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing with us.