It is currently June 21st, 2021, 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 1st, 2021, 5:27 pm 

Finally got around to posting a Solo trip report of a 3-day loop trip I did on the western side of Algonquin last June.

Beautiful area, but encountered quite a bit of craziness with campers on the trip -- including a group of people who portaged and paddled an aluminum fishing boat into Daisy Lake!

It was the first nice weekend we had after the park opened up again and I encountered a number of campers who seemed to not have a lot of backcountry experience. I discuss trip etiquette toward the end of the report. I tried not to sound like I was on a soapbox, but it was a bit extreme.

Please take a look and feel free to share/comment if you had similar or opposite experiences during the "covid summer". Cheers and a Happy New Year! Here's to a new paddling season in 2021!

https://www.canoedaddy.com/Algonquin-Da ... op-3-Days/

PostPosted: January 10th, 2021, 5:20 pm 

My daughter and I had the same experience. due to 2 broken elbows ( me) we were limited in where we could go this year. We’ve been camping in September in the park for many years, and I’m a believer in piece and quiet, don’t bother others unless there’s an emergency, and leave no trace on your campsite from your stay.

The decision was made to basecamp in Annie Bay, going for day trips from there rather then portaging ( what we usually do). We picked Annie Bay because the sites are quite spaced out, we could paddle as little or as much as my elbows would allow ( not casted) and had read enough blogs/ reports to know that it had been extremely busy in the park.
We had the large pine studded site about halfway into Annie Bay. Unfortunately this site has the number 203 printed on the map ( Jeff’s maps) close to the site. We were approached several times by people claiming they had reserved this site. We explained that that wasn’t possible, which took a bit before they caught on, but were understanding. There were lots of sites open and there was no problem finding another site,we had paddled by those in the afternoon. the last young couple arrived late in the afternoon, got very angry when they found ‘ their reserved’ site occupied and labeled us imposters!! The young lady had a tremendous hissy fit, never in my life have I had to deal with such a meltdown in a young adult! We were stunned.
My daughter, who works with difficult people on a dally basis, managed to get the last words in: please check with the office on your way out as to how back country camping works.
We can only hope they do. Or next year they’re gonna have a problem again.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2021, 10:54 pm 

Hi Tentster,

I'm guessing you had that prime site on the point on the eastern shore? Maybe they fully understood how the booking system worked but assumed you didn't and just wanted to scoop that awesome site!

Once in Killarney I had a guy paddle up to my site on OSA lake and ask if he could come back early the next morning, leave some bags on the site so that he could "hold" it until I left.

It's great that more and more people are getting into the backcountry, but it's a shame that many haven't learned to be considerate.

This summer I have vowed to stay out of the popular provincial parks during the peak summer months and venture further away to crown land camping.

2 broken elbows?? I'm afraid to ask. Thanks for reading the trip report.

Steve

PostPosted: January 13th, 2021, 5:23 pm 

Hi Steve, broke the elbows by hooking a foot behind a steel post in the barn, went down like a bag of cement, arms outstretched to catch myself. Not such a good idea. Doc at emerge Saïd it had been 40 years since he saw a double break in both arms at the exact same spot. Bones broke lengthwise, so no casts. This happened a month before our trip. Torn muscles were the painful part, paddling turned out to be possible although not for more then a couple of hours. And yes,we had the fantastic point site on Annie Bay. The reason we knew these were newbies was the fact they wiggled all over the place, never getting the canoe to go straight and constantly switching their paddles.
In case yo7 like Reading trip reports ive got it up at Algonquinadventures.com, called: glamping, campsite numbers and newbies.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2021, 8:20 pm 

Hi Tentster,

Just read your trip report. Despite your injuries and bad encounters with entitled newbies, it seem that you and your daughter had a great trip anyway. Your photos were great.

I won't be going into the park during peak season this year. For July and August, it'll be crown land camping for this paddler.

Take care,

Steve