It is currently November 28th, 2021, 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: May 28th, 2021, 5:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: April 18th, 2012, 5:23 pm
Posts: 116
Location: Burlington,ON
Hello everybody!

Most of my canoe trips are in Ontario.

Here is a sample of it (channel trailer):
https://youtu.be/fbzROT6t0zA

This year I set my eyes on Quetico.
We will have a late start on French Lake. Can anybody recommend a campsite on Pickerel Lake?
The intended direction of travel is Emerald Island.

Thanks!


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 28th, 2021, 6:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Posts: 9194
the first empty one you find. If it is a weekend Pickerel is full of campers from Thunder Bay. We have done a late start and stayed at the Pines just about an hour paddle. However that was 15 years ago. This year is a crapshoot..everyone will want out.

Once we stayed at Wetosi Island. I hope it has been closed. Overtrodden and full of sh.. and TP


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 28th, 2021, 6:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: April 18th, 2012, 5:23 pm
Posts: 116
Location: Burlington,ON
Thanks for the quick reply.
It will be a Monday start on the water. Didn't think about the weekend being busy, it's the first time I will get that far from GTA.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 29th, 2021, 6:11 am 
Offline

Joined: December 21st, 2016, 2:10 pm
Posts: 106
Location: Courtice Ont
Hey Adrian ... I see youre from the GTA, me as well. I've been thinking of Quetico as a potential 2-3 week trip. With the borders closed the park should be fairly empty (once you make a couple portages). It's the drive that turns we off, plus I have my dog, long way for him. You driving straight there? To drive there and then get off of Pickerel lake seems like too much. I've been to Superior a couple of times, could be a good half way point. Either way love to a see trip report, good luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 29th, 2021, 8:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Posts: 9194
Wilsauceez wrote:
Hey Adrian ... I see youre from the GTA, me as well. I've been thinking of Quetico as a potential 2-3 week trip. With the borders closed the park should be fairly empty (once you make a couple portages). It's the drive that turns we off, plus I have my dog, long way for him. You driving straight there? To drive there and then get off of Pickerel lake seems like too much. I've been to Superior a couple of times, could be a good half way point. Either way love to a see trip report, good luck.

I am not sure that closed borders have a lot to do with camping pressure. I don't know the figures of people entering from the Boundary Waters Canoe area. I do know that RABC permits aren't being issued. So you may indeed have less pressure.

I love the drive even though its even farther from me.. Sudbury the first night then Thunder Bay the second. Its about 22 hours for me. The scenery is quite nice so if you have the time enjoy the road. There are plenty of places to get out for short walks or long hikes with the dog.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 30th, 2021, 8:33 am 
Offline

Joined: April 18th, 2012, 5:23 pm
Posts: 116
Location: Burlington,ON
I plan to stay in Thunder Bay the night before. 8 days of paddling in the park. Coming back I plan to visit Kakabeka Falls, and then another 3 nights in Sleeping Giant. I am sure I will stop at many other locations, so many things to see.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 30th, 2021, 12:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2011, 4:44 pm
Posts: 585
Location: Waterloo, ON
Lots of good campsites on Pickerel Lake, so unless you’re into a stiff west wind you should be able to find a decent site. They are plentiful. A beautiful park. Have a great trip!

_________________

www.mikemonaghan.ca



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 30th, 2021, 3:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Posts: 9194
canoeguitar wrote:
Lots of good campsites on Pickerel Lake, so unless you’re into a stiff west wind you should be able to find a decent site. They are plentiful. A beautiful park. Have a great trip!



Our first Q trip. 15 foot Grumman. Out for a week. West wind on Pickerel. Whitecaps.. Four hours to Wetosi!
Came back same trip. Wind from the East. All the campsites taken. Yes there are many but it helps to get going in the am so you can snag a site early. As its a portageless lake it is popular.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 31st, 2021, 6:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: April 18th, 2012, 5:23 pm
Posts: 116
Location: Burlington,ON
Thanks for your input. Being a Monday morning makes me hope we will find something.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2021, 5:34 am 
Offline

Joined: June 10th, 2011, 11:46 pm
Posts: 32
The paddleplanner.com campsite maps are the best available.

The Pines area sees a lot of day use activity from people camped at French Lake, so you want to get past there if at all possible. But the Pines is where the lake opens up, and if there are strong westerlies, that's where you might get stuck. I've seen 2 m swells on Pickerel west of the Pines, and I'm sure it gets worse. An early start won't hurt.

I've never paddled Q in July, but hopefully you should have no problem finding a site, though perhaps not the one that was your first choice. Worst comes to worst, you could camp "at large", that's legal in Quetico. Maybe consider making camp around 3 or 4 pm if things look busy. If you're heading through Pine and Deux Rivieres portages on day 2, those are easy, downhill portages, so you don't need to kill yourself on day 1 "just in case".

Based on what I saw last June (when the U.S. border was closed), French Lake campground was full, but canoe traffic was significantly reduced once you got deeper into the park (Sturgeon, Poets). Normally the Pickerel entry gets a lot of US paddlers driving in. The southern part of the park (Agnes, S-chain) was blissfully empty. Normally that area is quite busy from paddlers entering through Moose Lake (Minn) and Prairie Portage.

Hope this helps.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2021, 9:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: April 18th, 2012, 5:23 pm
Posts: 116
Location: Burlington,ON
Thanks for the tips. I definitely don't plan on paddling 2 m swells.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 7th, 2021, 1:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: July 12th, 2010, 7:44 am
Posts: 153
Location: Barrie Ontario
AdrianR wrote:
Coming back I plan to visit Kakabeka Falls, and then another 3 nights in Sleeping Giant.


Just a heads up, we stayed the night mid week in Kakabeka Falls last July and there was quite a bit of road noise. It is surprising how many trucks turn on or off of highway 590.
If you are driving by you have to stop and check them out. Great place for lunch and up stream of the falls is a nice swimming beach but nor sure if I would spend the night again.

_________________
Cheers
Rob


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 9th, 2021, 4:38 am 
Offline

Joined: April 18th, 2012, 5:23 pm
Posts: 116
Location: Burlington,ON
Thanks for the info Rob. I was wondering what the noise level would be in that park (Kakabeka), due to the highway but also the falls.

Cheers,
Adrian


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: July 4th, 2021, 10:02 am 
Offline

Joined: May 9th, 2013, 6:28 pm
Posts: 36
littleredcanoe wrote:
I am not sure that closed borders have a lot to do with camping pressure. I don't know the figures of people entering from the Boundary Waters Canoe area. I do know that RABC permits aren't being issued. So you may indeed have less pressure.

From what I understand, in a normal year 70% of the traffic in Quetico is Americans. I've been told it was pretty quiet in Quetico last summer, presumably due to the closed border keeping American paddlers away. This year may be the same until the border re-opens.

Does anyone have recent intel to confirm or refute this hypothesis?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: July 4th, 2021, 9:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: December 2nd, 2008, 3:07 pm
Posts: 8
JohnGreen wrote:
littleredcanoe wrote:
I am not sure that closed borders have a lot to do with camping pressure. I don't know the figures of people entering from the Boundary Waters Canoe area. I do know that RABC permits aren't being issued. So you may indeed have less pressure.

From what I understand, in a normal year 70% of the traffic in Quetico is Americans. I've been told it was pretty quiet in Quetico last summer, presumably due to the closed border keeping American paddlers away. This year may be the same until the border re-opens.

Does anyone have recent intel to confirm or refute this hypothesis?


Last year, from what I saw firsthand and heard from friends was that the Stanton Bay, French Lake, and Nym Lake access points had way more vehicles than normal whilst the Beaverhouse Lake access point had much fewer vehicles. Typically, from what I've observed, the Beaverhouse Lake access point is 80% American users. Some of the other ranger station/access points are almost exclusively used by Americans since there is almost no access to them for Canadians. I'd be curious if these stations are even staffed while the border was/is closed. Anecdotally, it did seem like there were more Canadians using the park than usual, but still not nearly enough to make up for the usual amount of American users.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group