It is currently September 21st, 2021, 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 29th, 2021, 12:43 pm 

Exploratory day trip. Parked at the Pimisi Bay picnic area, and paddled east to the Talon Falls.
We rested the canoe on a ledge near the water’s edge. This very beautiful spot has trails going everywhere…but mostly over to the edge of the river to see the falls. Looks like it would be a rough portage, especially because it is unclear which trail is the direct route. Massive amount of water coming down the gorge. High cliffs just past the big drop…it’s easy to see why people are tempted to jump in…and why some of them die.
Returning to Pimisi Bay we hugged the north shore while a short heavy shower drenched us. It was nice to cool off, and the sun dried everything quickly.
The Chrismar map shows no campsites on this narrow channel, but we saw two officially marked sites, and a few others that are frequently used. Good to know, as these are the only places to camp on Pimisi.
The water is at least a foot higher than a week ago…evidenced by lily pads well submerged. If we had an older canoe, we might have run the first two portages. Lots of water. There are historic plaques at most of the portages, just to add interest.
A couple of the small rapids don’t have portages, and maybe at low water they are gentle streams. No problem going down…but a bit of work to get back upstream.
We parked the canoe again at the start of the Portage des Paresseau and walked most of the way down. A couple little trails lead to the water’s edge. We chose one that overlooked the massive waterfall to have lunch. Though 400 m long, this is an easy portage that will take travellers heading downstream to a 4+ km stretch of the river as it heads east.
We turned back to the south…to paddle upstream and do 5 short portages in a 2 km stretch.
Just a nice afternoon paddle not too far from home.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2021, 7:26 pm 

Thank you for posting. Interesting read. Any caterpillers?

PostPosted: June 30th, 2021, 6:22 am 

Did not notice defoliation... the caterpillars are spotty in the NE. Very bad in some places, not many in others.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2021, 7:02 am 

Quite a change. We were on the Mat a couple of weeks ago and there was absolutely no water going through the Turtle Lake dam. Had to turn around.

Kinguq.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2021, 2:25 pm 

I have relatives on Trout Lake, I think my father in law said it was easily 2+ inches of rain on Monday, and that wasn't the only rain they got.

red pine, my wife says that portage is why she won't go canoe camping anymore!