It is currently January 21st, 2021, 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fort McMurray
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2005, 7:40 pm 

Well, I leave tomorrow for Fort McMurray. I will be working for Points North adventures http://www.pointsnorthadventures.com for my second year.

Should be a good year, especially when my canoe makes it's way up after me. If your ever looking to go paddling, swing on by. I can't wait to get my MR Freedom Solo on the Clearwater, McKay, and Muskeg. Any one interested?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2005, 11:28 pm 

Hey EcoCanoe,

Welcome to Fort Mac. D.R.Zandee, a few others and I paddled the Muskeg on Sunday (it was 0C outside). Water levels were high. We ended up portaging the ledge. We might paddle it again this week in the late afternoon, early evening. It's supposed to warm up quite a bit by then (17C for Thursday). Ran the Mackay a week ago and highest water levels I've seen in 10 years.

Cheers
Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2005, 11:51 pm 

I hoped to make it out to the Muskey and MacKay last year, but levels were never above 5 cubic meters per second. So hopefully being a little earlier I may get to paddle it.

It would be great to paddle it with someone who has the local knowledge of it, as I haven't seen a whole lot of whiteater before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2005, 9:24 am 

EcoCanoe wrote:
I haven't seen a whole lot of whiteater before.

The Muskeg is flowing at 30m3/s right now and it kinda reminds me of water in a waterslide.
When it calms down we will take you out there.
We hope to go again this week to retrieve one of our canoes, which has been having a bit of a sleep over in the trees :wink:

You could do me a favour and start working on John to sell me his Mad River Guide!

"It's all part of the adventure"

Last edited by D.R.Zandee on May 4th, 2005, 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2005, 10:11 am 

Quote:
You could do me a favour and start working on John to sell me his Mad River Guide!

This won't make you feel any better. I've got a Mad River Freedom Solo comeing up sometime in late may.
The way John talks about his MR Guide, I don't think he'll be selling it anytime soon, though I'll keep you in mind if he mentions it. I can't make any promises though.

Post subject: Fort McMurray
PostPosted: May 5th, 2005, 10:24 pm 

New to Fort McMurray and I see the ice is finally gone in most places. Can't wait for leaves to come out on the trees.

I've been following this website for about a year so I know there are a few paddlers up here.

My experience would be in the beginner to intermediate range but I don't have my canoe or gear here. Would like to learn more about this area and paddling in moving water but not white water.

Looking forward to hearing from some of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2005, 11:13 pm 

Just got off the Muskeg. It's flowing at 24m3/s, not yet ready for beginners but the Clearwater and Athabasca are.
Wee Curious, PM me and we can get you set up with paddling up here.

"It's all part of the adventure"

Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray
PostPosted: May 8th, 2005, 5:02 pm 

wee curious wrote:
New to Fort McMurray and I see the ice is finally gone in most places. Can't wait for leaves to come out on the trees.

I've been following this website for about a year so I know there are a few paddlers up here.

My experience would be in the beginner to intermediate range but I don't have my canoe or gear here. Would like to learn more about this area and paddling in moving water but not white water.

Looking forward to hearing from some of you.

Welcome to Fort Mac! Soon we'll have more CCR members from Fort Mac than from Ontario :wink:

Lots of opportunities for flatwater paddling around here. The lower part of the Clearwater is very nice. If possible, paddle it on a weekday since on weekends there are quite a few jetboats. You can rent gear at http://www.pointsnorthadventures.com/ or some of us have some extra around as well. Points North also does shuttles with their jetboat.

Cheers
Al