It is currently January 21st, 2021, 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Quick... Help me!
PostPosted: May 27th, 2005, 8:01 pm 

Probably no one knows me on the Alberta forum as I'm from Vancouver and a poster on the BC forum but I'm here on business and just found out late today... I have to stay another week. It's Friday May 27th today and I have nothing to do here all weekend. I dont know much about this province but I'm just sitting around the Mayfield Inn in Edmonton and noticed that the North Saskatchewan river running through town looks very paddlable.... unfortunately I didn't know I'd be here this long and have no canoe or gear but I'm all on company expense and have a rental car for my stay... does anyonoe know where I could rent a canoe or possibly want to take me out this weekend? I need help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2005, 8:36 pm 

Hey Monster, ya just never know who's around the corner do you? Too bad I'm working this weekend but if you want to head north for several hours there's lots of paddling up here in Fort McMurray on the Athabasca and Clearwater Rivers. D.R. Zandee can help you out with directions and technical help and I think Sparkman has canoe rental connections. I can vouch for the Monster guys, he's a good paddler. I will join you all soon for a paddle I promise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2005, 9:19 pm 

Hey Monster,

Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) and Totem Outfitters are two places I can think of top of my head in Edmonton that rent canoes. A good day trip on the North Saskatchewan is putting in at Devon and taking out at one of the many bridges and parks. If you're in MEC or Totem, check out Mark's Guide For Central Alberta Paddlers. The Devon to Fort Saskatchewan portion is also online at his web-site http://members.shaw.ca/marklund/centralalbertaguideweb/nsasked.htm.

If you need more info, or are wanting to come further North, PM me.

Cheers
Al

Last edited by Sparkman on May 27th, 2005, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2005, 9:21 pm 

Hey Monster,

Check out this place as well: http://www.moonshadowadventures.com/outfitting.html Looks like they offer rental and shuttle service.

The Ceyana canoe club is also doing an outing on the North Saskatchewan this weekend (Sat afternoon to Sun afternoon, camping at the Big Island), so you might be able to hook up with them. Looks like Mark Lund (who's the Author of the book above) is trip leader. His contact info is at http://members.shaw.ca/ceyana/id642_m.htm. I imagine his number is in the Edmonton phone book as well. MEC will rent tent's, sleeping bags, etc.

Cheers
Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2005, 10:25 pm 

Thank you Sparkman and Curious... I'm contacting Mark Lund now... it's late and I've no equipment as I never exected to be here this weekend with little to do. Money is not an issue as I could expense this however.... sounds like this is an over night trip and so some gear may be a must. Worth a shot though so wish me luck... I'll post the results and thanks for the short notice replies!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2005, 12:21 pm 

Well, I don’t know how to say thank you in such short time but this amazing forum has come through for me in the most incredible way as I am now on my way out the door for a two day paddle on the North Saskatchewan River!!! What makes this even more amazing is the very short notice it happened in, given I have no gear save the a change of clothes in my hotel room and a knapsack. Mr Mark Lund has offered me a canoe, tent, sleeping back and is bringing some extra food for me as well. Sparkman, you’re the greatest, thank you VERY much for the information and I now do not feel at all bad about being in Edmonton for this weekend. If ever you are out in Vancouver please look me up as I’d love to return the favour and own two canoes to share anytime. That’s about it as I have to get out the door and find Mr. Lund’s place by 1pm. I’ll post pictures as soon as I return.

Cheers, Monster

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2005, 9:41 pm 

This is why I love Canada, and why I love paddlers. There's just this bond of friendship and sharing that everyone feels they must do whatever they can do to help a fellow paddler out. Have a great trip Monster!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2005, 9:42 am 

Hey Monster,

Glad I could help. Great to see that Mark/Ceyana Canoe club was able to set you up. Like EcoCanoe, that's what I love about the paddling community! It might be a while before I'm in Vancouver again (I was there in mid-April), but I'd love to paddle some of the rivers around there. I'll give you a shout if/when I'm going.

Cheers
Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2005, 10:31 am 

I was out of town till now. (Fernie, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Calgary, Cranbrook)Sorry I couldn't help. But, sounds like it has worked out great for you. Hope you like the river. I've done the 125km from Rocky Mountain house to Devon and I bet you are just loving it right now. Especially the awesome weather and northern lights we are getting this weekend.

Welcome to our neck of the woods. :clap:

"It's all part of the adventure"

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2005, 7:37 pm 

I just got back this evening after a perfect overnight paddle, the river was pleasant and the company spectacular, a great bunch of people in the Ceyana Canoe Club and to call them accommodating could do no justice to truth. I did manage to get one nasty sliver in my foot after pulling over to help bail out a canoe that tipped during an eddy turn (their dog tried to help) but after plucking out the chunk of firewood from my foot later that evening in camp, the only left over scar is a mildly sunburned forehead from this weekends adventure. Mark Lund is an entertaining and skilled paddler who even went so far as to provide a few evening beer in camp last night, along with a canoe for me to paddle solo that he had built himself some decades ago, a V shaped hull made it a tippy but swift 12' change to my usual vehicle at home. I'm still a tad smitten at my luck for finding a weekend excursion that spoke so elegantly of what I longed for at home, I have zero regrets now for being delayed an extra week in Alberta. D.R.Zandee and Sparkman, you are both welcome in my backyard anytime and once again, thank you so much for the help I so desperately needed. Now for my apology.... I took along my camera for the promised pictures then realized too late... I'd left my battery in my suitcase at the hotel :( Alas all is not lost as Mr. Lund had his digital along and has promised to share all at his website soon which you can find here...

http://members.shaw.ca/marklund/markshp.html

Thanks again to all of you friendly paddlers of Alberta and especially to the Mark Lund and the Cyena Canoe Club for taking care of a lost BC paddler on such short notice.

P.S. Wee Curiuos... I look forward to seeing you again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2005, 12:36 am 

Heres the correct links to pics....

http://members.shaw.ca/marklund2/nsask05may28/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2005, 8:51 am 

Good to know we were "there for you" Monster. Pictures look like you had great weather. I was out with the DW2's this spring and it was a similar type of day, sunny hot and windy and going against the current. Still a beautiful day then came back North and it snowed. But due to work and weather, the paddlin's been pretty thin so far this year. Hopefully hooking up with D.R.Zandee and Sparkman this weekend. I get home home once a month or so so maybe I'll see you paddling by somewhere - Ladner Marsh night paddle again?