It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2001, 10:35 am 

We're planning on doing the North Sask next June from the park to Rocky mountain house. Have any of you out there done this? What did you think? Anything we should watch out for, river or scenery wise? How's the wild life situation on the river? ANy advice, suggestions or comments are appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2002, 3:22 pm 
I have done this stretch several times over the past few years. It can be done easily in about 3 days from the Bridge on the Forestry Road just south of Nordegg to Rocky Mtn House.
More later

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2002, 8:36 pm 
No problem. This is a very common section to canoe and can be quite busy on long weekends. There are campgrounds along the way. Horburg landing etc. (used to be free but cost now, since run privately). Every rapid is canoeable, right throught the middle although you can miss everyone if you want. They are usually only on one side and the other side is dead flat.. Biggest is called Brierlies. About 200m on river right with ledge style hole at bottom. Common for kayakers to play in. Easy to miss. Fun to run. This one is right by Rocky Mountain House. Right by Historic Rocky Mountain House Trading Post National Park. Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 15th, 2002, 11:20 am 

Anonymous, how was you're winter out there and any predictions on the water levels? I'll be out there in mid June.

Thanks !

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2004, 7:46 pm 

Looking at doing the North Saskatchewan from Forestry Trunk Road to Rocky on the labour day weekend. Can anyone tell me the approximate time to do this. We are planning on starting Saturday morning and hope to be off the water Monday around noon. Is this possible? Any information will help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2004, 11:34 pm 

It's a nice 3 day trip. ......and to save a little time on your shuttle....we've used the Rocky taxi services so all vehicles are at the end so to head straight home. COst over the years has run from 60 to 80 dollars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2004, 6:37 pm 

This is an easy 3 day trip. I have done it at least 6 times, usually on May longweekend (mostly because I like paddling in blasting snow I guess). Plus at that time of year water can already be up high which can add lots of fun and additional rapids. I like to plan the second night at Devil's elbow so we can play there and get people some rapid experience if they have none. This and Briarlies (sp) on the last day are the only big waves and both can be skirted if desired though either is easy especially with a spray deck. They can be from a moderate to high Class III depending upon water levels.

Another paddle we have done taking the wee 'uns is putting in at Saunders. This cuts a day off the paddling and although you miss some nice scenery there are no big rapids on the first day.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2005, 11:46 am 

Anyone planning to paddle Rocky Mountain House to Drayton this July long weekend (2005)?

"It's all part of the adventure"

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2005, 7:31 pm 

Darren,

I am not planning to do that paddle at this time, but it is one I have wondered about. Is there much for bumps on this stretch?

We did the Nordegg to Rocky stretch on May long. It was my 15 yr old sons first WW trip. He did great, except for taking me swimming in a keeper at the ledge above Sauders.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2005, 10:49 am 

dunkin' wrote:
it is one I have wondered about. Is there much for bumps on this stretch?.

http://www.darinzandee.wildrec.net/North%20Sask%20-%20Rocky%20to%20Drayton.htm
This link to my site that I am working on for the trip. Although I just got an email that says we will may be starting at Saunders, so I'm not going to work too hard on the page until I know the full details of the trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2005, 9:18 pm 

I remember the Saunders ledge gave us a spanking years ago. I paddled the North Sask solo from the headwaters by the Columbia Icefields to Edmonton in 7 days a couple years ago. The only tricky bit was getting the kayak and gear over the Bighorn Dam.....not fun!
The run has its bumps but everything is easily avoidable.
Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 28th, 2005, 7:36 pm 

Can anyone tell me the situation with camping and fires on the route from Nordegg to Rocky? I am doing this trip in July and I am really excited!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 4th, 2005, 11:44 am 

There are lots of public campgrounds.
Call Camp'nFun Adventures as Michelle was very friendly and helpful
for fees and locations at 403 721-3975
www.campnfun.com

rmh-mountaineer.awna.com

To combine a bunch of threads we have going here I'll cover some other stuff as well.
Canoe Rentals and guides
Talked to Garry VanderBarren at Alpenglow Mountain Adventures. He rents canoes, guides, and does shuttles.
403 844-4715

Also, HeLa Ventures at www.helaventures.com looks like they have some nice canoes you can call them at
403 845-4325

Another one I heard of was Jill and Jeff at Voyageur Ventures 877-846-7878 or www.voyageurventures.ca

We did from Saunder to Breylies.

All the rapids are avoidable if you know how to "steer a canoe" (we met a group of whom some couldn't...... but that is another story :roll: ). There are some Class II+ right now at this high flow of 360m3/s.

There are lots of nice camp spots along the river on dry, level ground if you know what to look for.

I'll update my website with the pictures and trip log. If anyone needs GPS locations I have those availiable too.

It might be a bit as I am off again to paddle the 280km from Ft. McMurray to Ft. Chip on the Athabasca River.

Last edited by D.R.Zandee on July 4th, 2005, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 4th, 2005, 11:59 am 

Here are some more links to help you.
www.WhereAdventureBegins.com
www.rediscoverrocky.com
www.travelnordegg.com
www.rockychamber.org[/url]