It is currently January 21st, 2021, 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2005, 10:53 pm 

Greetings all,

I've paddled most of the Bow river between lake Louise and Calgary.

I'm missing the stretch from Banff townsite to Ghost Dam. I under stand the Stretch from Banff to Canmore is a easy trip I+/II stretch of river.

It is my understanding that Some where east of Canmore is a class IV rapid. I think it is called Horseshoe Canyon. (at or neer Sebee).

Does anyone have information on it? description? is it able to run in a open canoe, or interms of what the portage is like. (locations, markings, length) etc?

Especially any information one where the heck it is on a map!?

Thank you

Myrl

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2005, 6:58 am 

Hi Myrl,

I've never paddled this section, but here's the info I have:

Location of Horseshoe falls from my map: 11 U 637477 5664743 (N51 07 03.5 W115 02 08.7)

From the Canoe Alberta Reach Guide (approx 25-30 years old):
Quote:
Eleven km (7 miles) downstream of Exshaw is the Seebe Dam. The Seebe Dam may be portaged on the right bank by following the road which parallels the river. This portage is about 1 km (1/2 mile) long and ends with a steep descent to the river.
A short paddle from Seebe is the Horseshoe Dam, which involves a 5 km (3 mile) portage. The paddler should resist the temptation to rest overnight on this trail, since it would result in your unwelcome trespassing on Stoney Indian Reserve Land. It is strongly recommended that the paddler does not attempt to run the first two ledges (Class IV) below the dam. There are small concrete ledges below the dam and paddlers may have believed these to be the ledges, put-in below them and been swept over the Horseshoe Falls below. The falls cannot be seen from the water until it is too late. (They are obscured by high cliffs around a right-hand bend). Therefore, be sure to portage far enough downstream until it is certain that all of the dangers have been passed.
In this 14 km (9 mile) reach to the Morley Bridge, there are three danger spots - the two ledges already mentioned and two sets of rapids, 3 km (2 miles) upstream of Morley which can go to Class III in high water. Since the volume of water on the river is controlled by a series of hydro-electric dams, high water levels can occur suddenly, particularly in late afternoon when electrical consumption increases. These Morley rapids are a single continuous Class III rapid at low water and two separate Class III rapids at high water. The first is an exposed ledge but the second ledge is always submerged. It is suggested that the first is run on the right and the second on the left.

The Canoe Alberta book that I have indicates the ledges can be run at "favorable" water levels, although it doesn't indicate what levels are favorable. The first ledge is 1.5m high and according to the book can be run on the right. The second ledge is 1m high and can supposedly be run down the middle.

Hope that helps. Let me know how it goes!

Cheers
Al

PostPosted: July 24th, 2005, 11:09 pm 

I doubt I'll be running those rapids any time soon... I think I'll be getting some more parctice before.

Thanks for the info.Now at least I know where they are, and more or less what they are.

take care