It is currently January 21st, 2021, 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Red Deer River
PostPosted: July 26th, 2005, 6:25 pm 

Looking on some info on doing the Red Deer from Red Deer to Drumheller. Interesting sites, problems, how long to do etc. etc. Any info appreciated.....
TIA,
R...

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2005, 8:33 pm 

Haven't paddled it.

The section is 125km long with a gradient of 0.6m/km

Wind would be your issue.

There is only one rapid at high water, a class II.
The river is rated as novice.

There could be some weirs too but usually they are marked with warning signs

Maps
1:250,000 Red Deer 83A and Drumheller 82P

"It's all part of the adventure"

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 27th, 2005, 9:59 am 

I talked to a guy who tried rafting from McKenzie crossing to Drumheller. The wind became an issue. He also said this spring's flood left a lot of mud on the shores. He used TL ranch 403 442-2207 for shuttles. Potable H20 is an issue though. ARCA has an excellent map of this reach. try www.abcanoekayak.org for more info.
We're thinking of doing this stretch but not sure if we camp at the road access campgrounds at the bridges ala weekend warrior ,or camp the whole way .
Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 27th, 2005, 1:19 pm 

Have done these stretch many times and always enjoy it.
between Red Deer and Content bridge is well forested and canyon area is lovely. Camping spots are a little hard to comeby as there is less cattle clearing out willows etc but it is great not to paddle into the sun all day.
Caretakers at the content bridge camp ground(river left, up stream from bridge) are.........sticklers....and all out houses are filled to the max so you may want to avoid stoppong there. Dry Island Buffalo Jump Pro. park is a great place to lunch at and hike around but there is no over night camping at all. Down stream from there the river flows in a ssw direction and in my experince is hell to paddle after high noon because it can get really hot and the reflection from the sun on the water can cook you! This seasons flooding has left quite a mess of mud and silt on the lower banks and most of the campgrounds at the bridges are a mess but are drying up quickly.
Water must be carried with you. Water can be filtered but the river water is usually very silty......you may need extra silt filter attachment for that. Water from pumps in campground is questionable and taste......funny even when filtered.
Give yourself 7-10days to paddle. I usually do reddeer to Content 3 days and Content to the Drum' 7 days. I'm paddling Big valley to Rosebud creek starting the labour day weekend. Water's a little lower then but the valley is really beautiful
Arca map available at Maptown has all info' in it.

Post subject: Red Deer River..........
PostPosted: August 5th, 2005, 5:17 pm 

Ok, I'm confused.............. Laura P. says 7 - 10 days:

Have done these stretch many times and always enjoy it.
between Red Deer and Content bridge is well forested and canyon area is lovely. Camping spots are a little hard to comeby as there is less cattle clearing out willows etc but it is great not to paddle into the sun all day.
Caretakers at the content bridge camp ground(river left, up stream from bridge) are.........sticklers....and all out houses are filled to the max so you may want to avoid stoppong there. Dry Island Buffalo Jump Pro. park is a great place to lunch at and hike around but there is no over night camping at all. Down stream from there the river flows in a ssw direction and in my experince is hell to paddle after high noon because it can get really hot and the reflection from the sun on the water can cook you! This seasons flooding has left quite a mess of mud and silt on the lower banks and most of the campgrounds at the bridges are a mess but are drying up quickly.
Water must be carried with you. Water can be filtered but the river water is usually very silty......you may need extra silt filter attachment for that. Water from pumps in campground is questionable and taste......funny even when filtered.
Give yourself 7-10days to paddle. I usually do reddeer to Content 3 days and Content to the Drum' 7 days. I'm paddling Big valley to Rosebud creek starting the labour day weekend. Water's a little lower then but the valley is really beautiful
Arca map available at Maptown has all info' in it.

Then Hugh says 4 days:

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:46 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hugh,

I have done the Red Deer to Drumheller trip. It would have been about 25 yrs ago though. We did camp along the way, 1 night at the put-in and 2 on the river. I am not sure of our camping locations . We just stopped wherever back then, but there are a few campgrounds along the way you could possibly use. I am sure there would be no problem camping almost anywhere (almost all private land) as long as you were being respectful (no massive fires or such).

The trip has wonderful scenery, all the wildlife as you journey across the prairie tends to congregate along the river. Lots of interesting terrain too. I belive that our trip was at the end of June. The water was quite warm, the air was real hot. We spent a lot of the time floating beside our canoes. It is a lazy, relaxing type trip. I have been thinking about doing it again myself sometime soon.

Most folk are about as happy as they make up their minds to be
Abraham Lincoln

So, how many days does it really take, anyone know?

R...

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2005, 10:00 am 

Chopper I've never done the Red Deer to Drumheller reach. Refer to the ARCA Middle Red Deer River map for suggested travel times. Laura P seems to have accurate timing. Not sure of the total distance from Red Deer to Drumheller, 200 km seems about right, but the map's info seems to suggest that you can do 30km/ day which could be a long haul into the wind but not unrealistic as there is no portaging on the route.
Hope this helps.
Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

Post subject: Red Deer River...
PostPosted: September 25th, 2005, 5:00 pm 

Well, it doesn't look like we're going to get it done this fall...... 8>( Darn work and the like keep getting in the road. That being said, anyone else interested in doing this trip say next late June early July along with us? Sounds like a fairly easy go, lots of interesting country and a good chance to get away?????