It is currently December 4th, 2020, 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 24th, 2008, 6:41 pm 

Just wondering if anyone has been paddling out on Barrier Lake in Kananaskis before? Did a topic search and couldn't find anything.

We were camping a few weeks ago at the point campground on the upper Kannanaskis Lake. It was interesting to see a couple really fighting the wind coming into camp. (We hiked it).

Looks like with these man-made lakes that the wind can really get howling. The forcast looks good, and the distance is extremely short, so I think we might head into the backcountry campground at Jewel Bay by Canoe. This is one of few campgrounds I haven't been to in K-country. If anyone has been there and can post some pics or some descriptions of the area it would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 24th, 2008, 7:56 pm 

I have never paddled on Barrier Lake. I have, in the winter time, skated on it. We would have one person drop a bunch of us off at the west end, and let the strong winds blast us along the lake, it was a blast. Tried a large towel as a sail, and almost killed ourselves. I would imagine you would need to watch out for strong winds, as you already know, it sure can blow there. I have camped all throughout K-country, but never camped there.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2008, 8:39 pm 

Just got back from two great nights. We really lucked out, the weather has been very hot, and little to no wind. Paddled the entire perimeter of the lake and had a great time with two labradors trying to jump either in our out all day long. Any little bit of wind really comes howling around some of the corners, so a day with wind over 5km/h wouldn't be a good day to go on the water. There were a few el cheapo sevylor dingys, lots of kayaks, canoes, and a few power boats. Mostly Calgarians looking for a beach with the hot weather the last few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2008, 9:49 pm 

Albertadiver wrote:
Just got back from two great nights

Great to hear you had a good time, it sure was nice weather. It would be great to see some shots if you got any.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

Post subject: Point Campground
PostPosted: July 28th, 2008, 12:50 pm 

I have a reservation at Point Campground this weekend and we plan on paddling in. Do you have any pictures of this spot posted or have any tips/suggestions for activities?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2008, 2:05 pm 

Hey Lomer,

We really liked the sites about halfway down the penninsula, on the east side. I think it was site 13 that was our favorite. I haven't been out to the lake in over a month, but if the water level is still down, you'll have a long haul from your canoe to the camp sites over rough terrain.

Lots of crowds on the weekend, so if you want a nice site, get there early.