It is currently March 1st, 2021, 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2002, 10:15 am 
I am considering a canoe trip on Maligne Lake next summer. The scenery at the south end of the lake looks quite spectacular and I would imagine that it is quieter than the sites at Sampson Narrows, given that you don't have a tour boat going by every 15-30 minutes.

Does anyone have any suggestions/comments regarding this trip? Are those sites at the south end busy throughout the summer or can a booking be made on short notice? Any nice hiking trails in the area?

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2002, 3:32 pm 
I've got your info. Email me at drzandee@telusplanet.net

Darin

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31st, 2002, 3:17 pm 

It took us 3 hrs to canoe to Fisherman's Bay which is 13km. We took it easy but had a tail wind. The next day it took us 2 hrs to go the 9km to the end but it was like a mirror.
The fishing is awesome if you like to catch big fat Rainbows. Ha!
There are only two campgrounds and they only hold a dozen people each so book early. They are big sites so it's private.
I recommend paddling to Fisherman's Bay tent site (13km approx 2.5 to 4.5hrs). Which is in a calm little bay with beach and incredible view of Mt. Unwin (3,300m) and Mt. Charlton (3,260). When going through Samson Narrows stop at Sandpiper Cr. (east side of lake) point for drift wood for the fire. Or unload and paddle back to the point and load up. The winds stock piles the wood on this alluvial fan. The next morning you can be the first at Spirit Island for some private pictures as it is just around the corner. Then fish your way to the end of the lake and take a walk up the flood plain. Good views of Mt. Paul (2,874) to the north and Monkhead Mtn. (3,219) to the south. If you walk a couple kilometers up stream you will see Maligne Mtn. (3225) and it's glaciers to the north. Check out Coronet Creek camp site for future reference then fish back to Fisherman's Bay. Paddle out the next day. Note: If you want to take a chance with wind and you are a tireless paddler you could spend a night at Coronet Cr. but it could be a long paddle (20km) out if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Longer trip with hike to Coronet Glacier
From the Coronet Cr. camp you can hike the 10km to Coronet Glacier or break up the hike by camping at the Henry McLeod site which is 4.3km up the trail. There are some big mountain back there including Mt. Brazeau, which at (3,525m) is in the top three for height in the park.

Recommended maps and reading
You will want the Jasper and Maligne Lake 1:100,000 waterproof & tear-resistant map from Gem Trek Publishing which is available everywhere in Jasper and some spots in Hinton.
I asked a paddling buddy about Coronet Cr. here are his thoughts:

"a person can easily paddle to the other end of the lake in a day (Coronet Creek Campground). Depending on the winds it could take from 4 -8 hours. As far as which glacier we hiked to, it was Coronet Glacier (Great hike). This made for a good day hike. There is also a hike to the southeast that I would
like to do some day. Looking at the topo map it looks like it opens into a huge alpine meadow shadowed by a fair sized glacier (east end of Coronet Glacier)."