It is currently October 22nd, 2020, 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 13th, 2013, 12:10 pm 

I was planning on a paddling trip down the North Saskatchewan River from Nordegg to Rocky Mountain House this upcoming May long week with my sons. However, given the wildfires that are burning in the area (http://www.emergencyalert.alberta.ca/alerts/2013/05/1557.html), I do not think we are going to be able to do it. Undecided yet on what our revised plans may be. Thinking of staying near Rocky for a couple days and doing day trips on the North Sask River from Horberg into Rocky.

Anyone else having their plans disrupted by fires?

PostPosted: May 20th, 2013, 10:30 pm 

Yeah, I was planing to do Big Horn Dam to Rocky Mountain House. Changed plans and did Drayton Valley back to Edmonton instead. Heard the fires are now under control, so maybe I will try the Nordegg section in a few weeks. Cheers.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2013, 8:42 am 

For the May long weekend, we did end up car camping at Crimson Lake Prov Park and doing some day paddling trips on the North Sask River. Water was still really cold, so I was happy not to do any swimming.

On Sunday, we took a drive west past Nordegg to do a bit of sight seeing. Forest fires were still burning near Nordegg and the forestry trunk road was closed from Nordegg south to the North Saskatchewan River. When we drove past Nordegg, we watched three helicopters filling up their water bags in small lakes/ponds next to the highway and then flying off to dump them on the fire.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2013, 9:09 am 

Are the Nordegg Colleries in this area? We were hoping to hike the area in July.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2013, 1:39 pm 

cheryl wrote:
Are the Nordegg Colleries in this area? We were hoping to hike the area in July.

Cheryl.

Looks like the collieries site is impacted by the fires (see http://www.nordegghistoricalsociety.org/). I would not expect them to be closed for too long, but you never know. You should probably keep an eye on this site to find out what is happening.

regards
dave

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2013, 8:00 pm 

We were actually surprised that we saw no sign of forest fires on the N Sask last weekend. A bit of cloud, but mostly sun all weekend.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2013, 8:36 am 

dunkin' wrote:
We were actually surprised that we saw no sign of forest fires on the N Sask last weekend. A bit of cloud, but mostly sun all weekend.

We were also a bit surprised. No signs or smell of smoke anywhere between Rocky Mountain House and Nordegg. Even when we drove past the town of Nordegg and watched the helicopters loading up with water and heading off to dump, we could not tell exactly where the fire was. Maybe the fire is a ruse to hide some kind of "Close Encounters" scenario. :rofl:

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2013, 1:51 pm 

Drama in the Alberta foothills. :lol:

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"